Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently 16 (almost 17) but looking to buy mark 1 or mark 2 Silver Spirit in a year or two. I am fairly well researched in ownership of the Silver Spirit but I haven't got adequate information on the insurance costs. Firstly on compare the market it says the mean quote (obviously for me it will be much higher) is £1,011.43 per year but on a previous rendition of the same website it put the quote as just over £200 per year whilst quoting the modern RR models at over £1,000 per year. Also I have watched a few YouTube review videos but they just described insurance as "cheap". Firstly how much roughly would insurance be also would it be beneficial to get classic insurance?

Please can you get back to me and also inform me on any other necessary information

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I can't speak to what insurance laws are, or type of insurance available is, in the UK. But here in the USA much would depend on the type of auto insurance you're seeking.

Collision and liability coverage for such a car as a daily driver would be insanely expensive. Even just liability for someone in your age demographic would be insanely expensive.

If collector car policies are available there, which usually place significant restrictions on yearly mileage and when you are allowed to use the car (e.g., you can't use it as a substitute for your daily driver if that breaks down, can't use it for routine errands or work, etc.) and they'd underwrite you then you might be able to get something that's not break-the-bank expensive, but would still be pricey.

Were I you, I'd put off even the idea of buying a RR/Bentley until you hit whatever the age is you need to hit in the UK when automobile insurance rates for "young male drivers" drops out of the stratosphere. Here in the USA that used to be 24 years old, and may still be for all I know. It's been a long time since I had to think about these issues.

Reactions: AndaBossFTW

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Your quote for insurance is individually based so comparing to another owner with the same car will be different.
Quotes are based primarily on risk factors based on your age, driving history, credit score, your town/city crime profile etc. It is also based on whether you own other cars that you would use as a "daily driver".
The RR could be profiled into limited use, etc and I would suggest one of the insurance companies that specialize in this sector of the market.

·
Registered
903 Posts
You're going to be paying through the nose unless you put it on your parents policy and have yourself added as a driver. The UK insurance companies are more more risk averse than US ones and the insurance groupings are ridiculous. Even with 3rd party only, they won't want to cover a 17 year old in a car with a 6.75 liter engine. You're better off waiting until you're 25 and can get a classic car policy. In the meanwhile, the sensible thing to do is to build up your no claims bonus in a Vauxhall Nova. That's at least what I did..... NOT. I did exactly what your trying to do and bought a 71 Mercedes Benz 250CE. I was 21 at the time and worked about 60 hours / week so I could afford the insurance. But I got my rear handed to me in fuel bills.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Nice to read young collector full of dream.
You are right to prepare now the coming years.
I was not 18 when I got my first V6, then V8, and I must say that has forced many sacrifices.

I am covinced you will have a Spirit, just give time to time and study all options, inculding Alabassi suggestion

As ST Exupery said in Le Petit Prince : "make your life a dream and a dream come true"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts