Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not a huge deal, as I do know what's going on, but I will give an anonymized example of what I'm talking about.

I recently made a reply to a message that had an incorrect title, and was initially placed in an incorrect forum. Two subsequent alerts were sent to me, one noting that my post had been moved to a different forum (which is accurate, as my reply went along with the whole topic), but a second that read:

Your post in the thread {insert old/incorrect topic link here} was moved to {insert new topic link here}. Reason: Please do not duplicate post, there is no need to do so. Use the edit function if you have entered incorrect information.

The thing is, while my reply was a part of that old/incorrect topic, it was the originator's first post, and all replies to same, that got moved, lock, stock and barrel by forums administration (appropriately, I might add). I don't think that anyone but the originating poster in a topic that gets retitled and moved should get that second notice, as it's not really accurate. I had no duplicate post (the OP did) and when a topic is moved, those who have responded do also get a message that their reply message(s) have been moved.

When an entire topic is moved, it is only the person who originated it that should get that second message, not anyone and everyone who may have posted a response to it prior to its being moved.

· Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
That was me last night Brian. The OP posted a copy of the original post again but with the year corrected, and he also added some text. I deleted his original post and moved Rob's and your posts to his new post to make everything make sense in one post. There was a glitch, when I removed his original post everything including the new post and your replies disappeared. I undid them, but they all appeared in two separate posts again. I tried again to just delete his original post alone (with the year of car wrong) but again everything disappeared. I did another correction and then it seemed to work with one correct post with everything in order so the post made sense. Apologies for all the alerts, i did not realize you would get the message too, they were only meant for the OP. Thanks, Jim.

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,

Thanks very much for this information. If the notice was triggered by an "Oops!," which is something we all have made at one time or another, that's completely different than if it's embedded in the forum software and would normally be generated.

I truly appreciate your having taken the time to explain this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.