Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I’m in Arkansas—close to Texas. Just got my daily driver BMW 535 stuck in almost nothing. The wife had to come for me in her Macan Turbo. This car is so bad in the snow I cannot believe it. It won’t let my shut off traction control. Keeps turning it back on. It puts itself in park if it feels like it. I put it in 3rd manually and it shifts back to 1st. I wish it had no electronics and I could get it up my hill.
One thing I enjoyed most about BMW's is their tail happy nature. I owned a 1981 BMW 528i which was super rewarding. I think that off the cars I owned, that was the one I enjoyed the most.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just love this community - here we are a bunch of regular guys (possibly gals too?) discussing how suited our Rolls-Royces and Bentleys are for winter driving :geek:

All the best!

Es

·
Registered
1999 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur, British Racing Green
65 Posts
One thing I enjoyed most about BMW's is their tail happy nature. I owned a 1981 BMW 528i which was super rewarding. I think that off the cars I owned, that was the one I enjoyed the most.
The problem with this newer model BMW is all the electronics. The traction control cannot be completely shut off. When you do and it encounters ice it turns back on. It won’t let me start in third. Automatically down shifts. So you run out of juice on a hill completely as the traction control cuts all power and has a mind of its own. It also won’t let me rock it between drive and reverse and puts itself in park. I also have the M package wheels with summer tires. Absolute worst car in the snow ever. Bring back the good old days when you threw something heavy in the trunk and drove all winter in your rwd car.
I swear I would drive my Rolls if it wasn’t still in the shop!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Electronics, plastic heating components, vacuum lines, variable timing components. I work on a friends X5 every so often when I hear the outrageous quotes she gets from the dealer. When I do, the term WTF crosses my lips quite often.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Electronics, plastic heating components, vacuum lines, variable timing components. I work on a friends X5 every so often when I hear the outrageous quotes she gets from the dealer. When I do, the term WTF crosses my lips quite often.
one of my daughters has a diesel X5. I dread when I think of the cost to get it fixed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just love this community - here we are a bunch of regular guys (possibly gals too?) discussing how suited our Rolls-Royces and Bentleys are for winter driving :geek:

All the best!

Es
Well I am super jealous - I just ordered yellow “Crime Scene” tape
That's a very nice Caddy - '68?
Is that yours?

I also own a "R*dneck Ferrari", i.e. 1971 Corvette, but that's tiny by american standards.
View attachment 29416

Cheers

Es
Great cars -> my “poor mans” Ferrari actually built by Ferrari....

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
How do you like the Maser? I have considered getting one several times.
Hi MZinArkansas,

It is a fantastic piece of machinery. Honestly, a lot of people do not know about these cars.

If you’re looking for 400+ horsepower, Ferrari built/engineered engine it’s amazing. This car really compliments the Turbo R. The Maserati will hit 60 in about 4.7 seconds and a top speed of over 180 mph...all without the use of a Turbo. I know you are in Arkansas and if you are looking to buy one, you’re more than welcome to come to Dallas and drive mine.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks, Man. I am not at this point. We have been in the process of cutting back from about 20 cars and 10 bikes to three cars and three bikes. And one of those three cars will go when we get the new Bronco we ordered in June or July. But I love those cars.

we just sold our 6400 sq ft garage/shop/office about 6 mos ago. Everything had to go!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks, Man. I am not at this point. We have been in the process of cutting back from about 20 cars and 10 bikes to three cars and three bikes. And one of those three cars will go when we get the new Bronco we ordered in June or July. But I love those cars.

we just sold our 6400 sq ft garage/shop/office about 6 mos ago. Everything had to go!

View attachment 29434

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I feel like the biggest idiot - sounds like you more than know about cars and here I go spouting off statistics....sorry about that. I have a huge problem with cars and a huge passion. It’s a shame you had to get rid of all your toys. Not sure if you come to Dallas often but please IM me if you do. Would love love to talk shop and learn more about your cars.

Kindly,
Stephen

Reactions: MZinArkansas

·
Registered
65 Posts
I feel like the biggest idiot - sounds like you more than know about cars and here I go spouting off statistics....sorry about that. I have a huge problem with cars and a huge passion. It’s a shame you had to get rid of all your toys. Not sure if you come to Dallas often but please IM me if you do. Would love love to talk shop and learn more about your cars.

Kindly,
Stephen
Stephen—thanks! You aren’t an idiot at all. I got rid of all my toys because I had too much. Too much of everything—toys, pets, kids, businesses, real estate, jobs, and ex-wives. Complicated my life. Didn’t appreciate any of it. Cars were just part of it. The great simplification—ala—“Jerry Maguire” was needed! Have a great weekend—I hope you have power at your place.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well gentlemen,

I looked at my steering fluid reservoir today and it’s bone dry. When it gets a bit warmer I will start her up. I am pretty confident that is the only fluid (steering fluid) that has been completely exhausted from the car. She has plenty of anti-freeze and fresh oil and filter. I just need to replace the 2 little “o” rings to stop the fuel leak.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Steering racks are kind of a problem on those. If you can, avoid spinning the wheel stationary and going full lock to lock. The boots can hold a lot of ATF before you see any puddles on the ground.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Steering racks are kind of a problem on those. If you can, avoid spinning the wheel stationary and going full lock to lock. The boots can hold a lot of ATF before you see any puddles on the ground.
I have heard racks are only good for two or three years on these. Mine leaks a tad as well but I’m going to nurse it along for a while.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
As of this morning...looks like the whole “enchilada” to me LOL.....

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have heard racks are only good for two or three years on these. Mine leaks a tad as well but I’m going to nurse it along for a while.
Just keep the car off those Persian rugs and you'll be okay. I let a guy use my lift to do the job on his Spur about a month ago. It took him about 8 hours including a trip to the hydraulic shop to get the hoses remade.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Stephen—thanks! You aren’t an idiot at all. I got rid of all my toys because I had too much. Too much of everything—toys, pets, kids, businesses, real estate, jobs, and ex-wives. Complicated my life. Didn’t appreciate any of it. Cars were just part of it. The great simplification—ala—“Jerry Maguire” was needed! Have a great weekend—I hope you have power at your place.
The wives, the rugs, the Rolls Royce. Are you the Sheik?

·
Registered
1986 RR Silver Spur, 6.8 Liter, custom 700R4 and more to come
13 Posts
My Spur III was shockingly able in the snow we just had. It climbed right up the snowy hill near my house without breaking a sweat.
This '86 Spur we just got was found in Chicago and we drove it back in the snow storm a little over a week ago. We had to come south to the state capitol (Springfield) and then head east aways. Talk about stability and a smooth ride. We made good time and the 25 mph cross wind from the west didn't have any ill effect. I'm guessing weighing over 5100# helps sometimes!(y)(y)

21 - 40 of 45 Posts