Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I have religiously started my car or driven it daily. In this cold it’s probably not worth trying to start the car as I it would do more harm then good right?

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I think that it's best to leave it alone. I remember starting my Mercedes Benz 6.9 on a frozen day (not even close to this cold) because it was the only car parked in the front and nothing was getting up or down the alley way. I got zero oil pressure because the oil was so thick.

I grew up in London and never experienced temps as cold as they are in DFW right now.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
1 ° C is ok for a little drive. I would say it's limit, except if the car is in a hotter place.
Minus 3/ 6 ° , I agreee it better to leave the car and wait for positive temperature.

It depends if the car is storaged under 0 or not.
Under 0 leave it.
If it's under 0 outside but 10 ° C in your parking, you can have a little drive

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He's talking 1 degree F. We're seeing -16 degrees C right now which is bonkers. Looking forward to next week when I can turn the A/C on. Welcome to Texas
Yes sir - LOL....my profile pictures was taken when it was 104 F. I miss that day right now.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
247 Posts
In Northern Europe, where I'm from (Denmark), -16°C is very cold, but doesn't mean that everything stops working.
The image I have of Texas in my mind is scorching heat, oil rigs, rattle snakes, huge steaks and people in 10 gallon hats driving Cadillacs, so I can imagine -16°C coming as a bit of a shock.
Mind you, I've never been to Texas, so my stereotypes may be a little bit off 🤣

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The image I have of Texas in my mind is .....people in 10 gallon hats driving Cadillacs
We're required by law to own them!!

-16 degrees C is 50 degrees C lower than what people are used to here and nothing is built for it. Not homes, roads or power grid which has failed for many people. On a positive note, we'll be back in the 20's next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Al-Jazeera just noted, that there is still no power in most areas of Texas :oops:

·
Registered
247 Posts
That's a very nice Caddy - '68?
Is that yours?

I also own a "R*dneck Ferrari", i.e. 1971 Corvette, but that's tiny by american standards.

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In Northern Europe, where I'm from (Denmark), -16°C is very cold, but doesn't mean that everything stops working.
The image I have of Texas in my mind is scorching heat, oil rigs, rattle snakes, huge steaks and people in 10 gallon hats driving Cadillacs, so I can imagine -16°C coming as a bit of a shock.

Cheers

Es
You are spot on Es, steaks and women are amazing lol. I am from Chicago and I do not fit in here in Dallas LOL.

If you ever want to visit - let me know. I have yet to visit Europe but my Girlfriend and I are planning a trip soon.

Kindly,
Stephen

Reactions: The_Nuge

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hi Stephen!

Thanks for the offer, which I'm happy to counter-offer!
I'm close to Stuttgart in Germany, so if your trip takes you this way, let me know!

I have been to Chicago btw. - the steaks were excellent, and so was the blues music :)
Es

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you’re going to drive your vehicle in this cold weather, you may want to go for something with a little less viscosity when it gets down to lower temps.

·
Registered
1999 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur, British Racing Green
65 Posts
I’m in Arkansas—close to Texas. Just got my daily driver BMW 535 stuck in almost nothing. The wife had to come for me in her Macan Turbo. This car is so bad in the snow I cannot believe it. It won’t let my shut off traction control. Keeps turning it back on. It puts itself in park if it feels like it. I put it in 3rd manually and it shifts back to 1st. I wish it had no electronics and I could get it up my hill.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Cheers

Es
Es Texas is a really diverse place located surprisingly to some on the Gulf om Mexico. It has forests, an 8700' mountain and definitely great steaks !
There are more giant pickups than old fashioned Cadillac's but if you go to the country or the Houston Rodeo you will definitely meet people at home in their wranglers and cowboy hats :)
Ice comes yearly for a few days but nothing, nothing like this...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I’m in Arkansas—close to Texas. Just got my daily driver BMW 535 stuck in almost nothing. The wife had to come for me in her Macan Turbo. This car is so bad in the snow I cannot believe it. It won’t let my shut off traction control. Keeps turning it back on. It puts itself in park if it feels like it. I put it in 3rd manually and it shifts back to 1st. I wish it had no electronics and I could get it up my hill.
My Spur III was shockingly able in the snow we just had. It climbed right up the snowy hill near my house without breaking a sweat.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts