Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of years ago, i bought a 94 continental R at a salvage auction. It was caught on those huge mud slides in California and looks like a pile of rocks was poured over it. While there's not a straight panel on the car, the engine looks like it's brand new and so does the interior. When you open the oil filler cap, it looks like there's never been oil in the car.

Given the economic climate, i don't think it would be smart for me to try to restore this car as it will need just about every panel to be replaced + bumpers + glass so I'm not considering dismantling the car. What would I expect a 94 Continental R Engine and gearbox sell for with 10K miles? What about a perfect interior in cream with red piping?

I also have a couple of shadows that might face the same fate.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow what a sad tale and I am assuming that your post had a typo regarding dismantling and that you are indeed considering that as a possible route.

I have no idea how much you paid for the Conti but assume it was small money if the car looked as though it had been under a rock avalanche. The equation would be very straightforward to me but I am speaking from a UK perspective on prices so you may be able to do much better in the US.

To restore a Conti's bodywork and to give it a proper paint finish would cost circa £20,000 if all the panels were straight and only very minimal rust problems needed eliminating. To carry out the same job with panels that have been badly damaged would immediately double the cost and, at that point, you are nearing the market value for the car. It sounds as though the glass is damaged as well and that is very big money, so my immediate reaction is that sadly this car would be a wonderful donor for dismantled parts. The low mileage makes the engine and drivetrain a very attractive proposition - in the UK you could easily be looking at £12,000 for the engine - more for the gearbox . . . . . . . and the myriad of other parts could mean a sales value of £15-£17k or more.

The interior is also interesting although most Contis have very immaculate rear cabin fittings as it is so awkward to get into the rear seats and so they are seldom used. But new front seats would fetch a good deal as would the veneer work if that is still in perfect condition.

So if about $20-25,000 would show a reasonable exit return for you I would not hesitate to go down the dismantling route - however, the lead time to sell all the parts would be a complete punt especially in the present crazy times.

Do you have any pictures ?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've dismantled several cars in the past, I sometimes prefer this to selling so to avoid the tire kickers and it helps feed the hobby. My dismantling antics have been exclusively tied to Mercedes Benz so I have no idea how this car will part out, or how much to price parts for. I do have an azure that caught fire (also bought this way) under the hood. It's a 2001 wide body so I might be able to make one good car out of the two.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. Right now I have 3 silver shadow parts cars that should be dismantled first and will give me an idea if the juice is worth the squeeze. I'm still thinking of donating whatever is under the hood for my fire damaged azure project. In any case, it will be a while before i get to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think car looks savable,will require a lot of money,but if you sell parts of it you would probably be left with lots of parts.diff will sell quick around 1000,engine max 3000-4000,the rest is going to be a hassle...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts