Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Earlier on, when I was fiddling with the TPS in the Bentley, I noticed this nut, bolt, washer and spacer lying on the flat surface at bottom of the V at the back of the engine.
I'm fairly sure that they haven't been there long, as I was recently looking for leaks back there, but I couldn't spot anywhere where they were obviously missing :unsure:

What are for?

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
At the front engine, close to the front of the car, I would have said it could be alternator, A:C or air pump bolt & spacer because there are some similar, but at the rear I don't know

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Also remember that those could have been dropped there long ago. You'll find all sorts of stuff nestled in little corners of an engine bay where it was easier to "grab another one" than to try to fish the one that fell in, out.

Reactions: The_Nuge

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Check with the Bentley Heritage site for exploded parts views.
Hopefully your car is listed.

I have seen this set up used for the coil bracket to engine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again!

Towards the front of the engine would be understandable, but this really stumps me!
Doesn't appear to be from the wiper assembly either, which is kind of in the right location....

Cheers!

·
Registered
604 Posts
There are spacers like that in the front doors, though I can't remember where or for what.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does look like something you'd find in a hinge mechanism, but as the bits were on top of the engine, I doubt that they are from the door area!

Cheers
Es

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
NUGE.... use more periods at the end of your sentences rather than exclamation points.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not actually, I'm from Denmark. But live in Germany. Full stop.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
As you found the complete set, in my opinion a guy put it there and forgot it. It would be very surprising that those 4 pièces failed there and none on the ground.
The guy probably replaced by something else, I hope

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Jean,

I'd be very surprised too, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm sure the parts weren't there 2 weeks ago!
I'll go bleed my radiator now 😀

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Eureka! (Needs an exclamation mark 😉),

I've found where the bits belong: they're fasteners for a clamp on the fuel lines at the back of the injection unit:

And here fitted:

Unfortunately, whilst rummaging in that area, I've discovered a small pool of green oil... oh well...

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Wonderfull, congratulation.
Green oil is LHM, was it fresh or old ?
In this area, as far as I understand rear of the up engine, it might be the brake pressure pump.
On your car, with great access, that is a possible job.

Checl if all pipe and hose are tight enough, I had a leak it was just a bolt on a distributor not tight enough.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Jean,
It looks fresh, and it seems to collect roughly below the twin distributor.
From what the previous owner told me, the front pump had been leaking and was fixed, so I'm presuming that I'll have to do the rear one now.
From reading up on the subject, I gather that the O-rings between the outer housing and inner part are most likely the problem, but were does the LMH leak out? The actual pump seems quite dry.

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
It leaks between the pump and the housing most part of the time, so you don't need to take the pump out which require a special tool. LHM is very fine and fluid , so difficiult to see leaking. Maybe with engine runing. In that area, most of the time it is the pump housing. But check indeed for pipes or hose

1 - 18 of 18 Posts