Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Car

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Car seat cover

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Tire
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky

Hey all,

Came across this beautiful 1959? Rolls Royce Phantom, clean interior, neat engine bay, and overall extremely well-preserved for its age. Low-mileage judging by the interiors and wear n tear. What would be a suitable price for such a car? Photos attached, please help as I'm very keen on purchasing, but relatively new to the classics scene.

Also, I'm currently in Australia. What would the regos, tax, and road suitability be like, if I were to purchase it?

All help/guides are appreciated, thank you :)

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
Have the car completely inspected by someone that knows these cars well. The fee paid will be worth it. Don't be swayed by everything you mentioned...look for the details...such as up to date service records for a start?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
They are asking for 181k AUD/ 125k USD equivalent, for sale from a family friend's friend (not to trust on them, but apparently it's their "best price").

I understand a little bit about import duty and taxes, just not sure what Left Hand Drive conversions on these classic vehichles are like (both internationally or Australian mechanics) and road-worthy stuff but, again, people probably arent buying classics to drive em.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You mention import duties, so I assume you are intending on importing the vehicle into Australia from another country. Unless they have changed from what they ruled about 10 years ago when I was last there, Australia do not allow the possession of Left Hand Drive cars and they have to be converted to Right Hand Drive which I would think would cost you far more that any import duty or even the sea freight. There were a few dispensations to the law, but the car concerned had to be something exceedingly special. Whilst most readers of this would consider a R-R Phantom in the condition you show something very special, you might find the officious OZ customs think very different. I would check first to be sure what you might be getting into.

·
Super Moderator
1,255 Posts
If you look closely at enlarged pictures it appears the upholstery has been redone and not very well. I'm pretty sure that it is not preserved original leather. The rear seat back at the top is badly warped, the right rear armrest area looks terrible. The way the binding is sewn on the rear carpet is not correct, the stitches would never show on the original carpets done by Rolls-Royce. Wheel discs appear to have been completely painted, so that makes me wonder how bad the condition of the chrome was. I suspect they did not want to spend the money to have them re-chromed so cheaped out with paint. Considering the lack of service or any other history, and what appears to be poor workmanship on the upholstery, I would be very wary of this car. I certainly would never consider buying it without more documentation, having it inspected by a knowledgeable Rolls-Royce mechanic, or without flying to its location and inspecting it personally. Unless you're set on buying a Phantom V why don't you join the Australian RROC and buy a Cloud or S from a member of the club there or in New Zealand? You might find a very nice one of those for half or less of what they are asking for this car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts