Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
281 - 300 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
IMHO I can see that you are going to pay far to much money for a mid 80s car. As has been said, many of these cars have been for sale for years, just waiting for someone like yourself to come along, meant with all due respect.
The sort of money you are talking about, the car should be in top condition and all roadworthy tests completed, ready to drive away and here in the UK, a short warranty.
I think you should step back and reevaluate exactly what you are looking for then wait for one to come along that has not been for sale for years, then to find out why it is for sale.
Please do not rush into things, patience is a virtue, these cars are going anywhere fast, that`s for sure. Good luck.

Jake.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #282 · (Edited)
IMHO I can see that you are going to pay far to much money for a mid 80s car. As has been said, many of these cars have been for sale for years, just waiting for someone like yourself to come along, meant with all due respect.
The sort of money you are talking about, the car should be in top condition and all roadworthy tests completed, ready to drive away and here in the UK, a short warranty.
I think you should step back and reevaluate exactly what you are looking for then wait for one to come along that has not been for sale for years, then to find out why it is for sale.
Please do not rush into things, patience is a virtue, these cars are going anywhere fast, that`s for sure. Good luck.

Jake.
words of wisdom or words of hesitation ... same old story again. This car is 1990, not 1985 as you stated, I hope this changes things? or not? Anyway, I checked lots of cars on internet from USA to whole Europe and I tell you the asked price and condition is totally in agreement with current prices. I found a Spur 84 for 15k near me, first I was enthusiastic, but in the pictures the rubber around rear windscreen looks like chewed gum, leather on seats is cracked, etc,

I have learned one cannot get a RR with 4 wheels and roof for less than 12K. It will have all sorts of oil leak and some rust, ugly dashboard and leather to cry on it. I really think that 24k for a 90 Spur with 23k kilometers is not too much if we are talking about other cars. Of course, in some way for an old wreck it is too much, but this is market now.

BTW, all the above is for LHD cars. really, there are some nice cars for significantly less money, however they are RHD.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I really think that 24k for a 90 Spur with 23k kilometers is not too much if we are talking about other cars.
Agree, price is attractive, in the current market, for a 1990 car with only 23k kilometers on the clock.
Why does it take so long to sell ?
Some, if only a few, prospective buyers must have had a look at it...

Be patient, sooner or later, you will find the right car at the right price.
(It took me two years to find a suitable Corniche ;) )

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Agree, price is attractive, in the current market, for a 1990 car with only 23k kilometers on the clock.
Why does it take so long to sell ?
Some, if only a few, prospective buyers must have had a look at it...

Be patient, sooner or later, you will finf the right car at the right price.
(It took me two years to find a suitable Corniche ;) )
I have spoken with the seller. he reacted like we predicted: we will (maybe) talk about the price when I am there. I asked him for a quick 5 minutes test of AC (does it blow cold), brake pressure lights test (how many pumps to turn on after engine was running), a quick description of eventual dents in the body and all four corners test with putting his weight on a car ... is reaction equal and is it soft/hard.
that's it. I am waiting for report. He can make a MOT, but I must pay 200 eur for it. he can make it next week, because he is alone now and busy.

They have it for a year and half. I do not know why it takes so long to sell it but somehow this is not a reasonable question. Because if the car is sold in one week I would even not notice that it was on a market.

In the meantime I am double checking papers, and homologation process. It seems everything is safe and clear. So i just need to fill my Cohones and make a decision. I can check one similar car (Germany) on my way to Belgium. and most probably another one or two in this range, so i will not feel like an idiot who is traveling 1100 km due to one car only.
A friend of mine suggested me to buy the belgian car without traveling there, he can arrange a transportation and the guy who drives a truck is educated in cars. Well, I do not like the idea much. This friend claims that nothing can be seriously wrong with such car. Do you see now how different opinions people have? BTW this friend is a car guy, a pure perfectionist and with long tradition of practice, nothing less than Edd China from wheeler dealers. he does not know RR cars however.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
To comment what you wrote below. You do not ask him to succeed the MOT, you ask him to present the car and have the car inspected. Of course you might not have the belgium MOT and you do not care. But you will have a technical report on brake, suspension, rust, wheels...... You will have for less than a hundred euros a technical inspection.
Who care you get the MOT valid, most important is to learn what is wrong on this car after all tests on brake and suspension...leaks...
No need to buy headlights or tires, it will be written they are not accepted, who cares.

Ask your freind who suggest to buy it without more information to invest the money, then you will buyt it from him at the same price if the car is OK.
Has this friend ever buy a R-R or Bentley ? If no, I understand why he suggests that.

Stay carrefull untill the last minute. Without MOT tests and results, stay away. All we need is the MOT report with negatives points after technical and visual tests.

No MOT report, do not buy the car, this is not for you. If it was Allabassi, I would not say the same, he is able to buy salvage cars because he has huge experience.

"Your ideas sound reasonable and they are helpful. Except one thing: MOT is 100 eur .... ok .... however to prepare the car one has to replace headlights for sure and tires most probably. I think you forgot this fact. Will the seller invest at least 1000 eur into it? I doubt and no one can blame him I guess. is there any clever solution anyway? Maybe he can put the car to MOT anyway and they just make a report what is wrong and what is ok? So I expect that headlight and tires will be to replace, however I will know the rest, too. Is that it what you meant? "

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #286 ·
To comment what you wrote below. You do not ask him to succeed the MOT, you ask him to present the car and have the car inspected. Of course you might not have the belgium MOT and you do not care. But you will have a technical report on brake, suspension, rust, wheels...... You will have for less than a hundred euros a technical inspection.
Who care you get the MOT valid, most important is to learn what is wrong on this car after all tests on brake and suspension...leaks...
No need to buy headlights or tires, it will be written they are not accepted, who cares.

Ask your freind who suggest to buy it without more information to invest the money, then you will buyt it from him at the same price if the car is OK.
Has this friend ever buy a R-R or Bentley ? If no, I understand why he suggests that.

Stay carrefull untill the last minute. Without MOT tests and results, stay away. All we need is the MOT report with negatives points after technical and visual tests.

No MOT report, do not buy the car, this is not for you. If it was Allabassi, I would not say the same, he is able to buy salvage cars because he has huge experience.

"Your ideas sound reasonable and they are helpful. Except one thing: MOT is 100 eur .... ok .... however to prepare the car one has to replace headlights for sure and tires most probably. I think you forgot this fact. Will the seller invest at least 1000 eur into it? I doubt and no one can blame him I guess. is there any clever solution anyway? Maybe he can put the car to MOT anyway and they just make a report what is wrong and what is ok? So I expect that headlight and tires will be to replace, however I will know the rest, too. Is that it what you meant? "
If i want to get MOT then i need to pay 200 eur in advance. They also charge for the time spent to go to MOT btw. I can pay or i can blackmail him to be paid by him. But he will not pay because i do not have any ace in my sleeve. It is my turn whether to risk 200 eur or not. But to be honest, what will inspection reveal? Bad ball joints? I doubt for this mileage. Non uniform braking? Yes probably, but i will say it is due to long standing. The only useful information would be exhaust gasses however again, what should be seriously wrong on a car with 23k km?

·
Registered
165 Posts
It is my turn whether to risk 200 eur or not.
You are not "risking" 200 €. You would be wisely investing 200 €.
If the car is a lemon (collision damage or whatever), investing 200 € could save you thousands of euros in repairs.

Before buying my 88 Silver Spur, in California, I purchased a third party inspection (for much more than 200 €) never regretted.
I paid another third party inspection on a Silver Cloud I, for sale on ebay : saved me thousands of euros NOT buying the car.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Samosali, why 200 € when the official price is under 100 €

They want to charge their time to go there ?
Sorry, but if it was me, I will stop discussion and leave them with their car.

Now you are enroled by their game. They want to make no effort because they feel you are very excited by the car.

You pay the exact price of MOT, no more.
If you do not understand whta it may reveal, fine, do no do it, but you are cumulating all mistakes.

Do it as you feel it, I think we gave you enough advices and recommandations.

Good luck as she is a big part in Life

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #290 · (Edited)
Samosali, why 200 € when the official price is under 100 €

They want to charge their time to go there ?
Sorry, but if it was me, I will stop discussion and leave them with their car.

Now you are enroled by their game. They want to make no effort because they feel you are very excited by the car.

You pay the exact price of MOT, no more.
If you do not understand whta it may reveal, fine, do no do it, but you are cumulating all mistakes.

Do it as you feel it, I think we gave you enough advices and recommandations.

Good luck as she is a big part in Life
Yes, i have something to think about. They want 200 eur for mot and their time together. I can leave them but i can leave a nice car also. I agree that i play their game but it is their car. I want something what they possess so there is some logic in all this. You do not have an idea how do i feel, i deeply agree with you, but sometimes we cannot act as we would like to. If i will show my pride, i will never get a car. It is not possible to accept all advices here because they are different, but these advices are helpful to me anyway. I am not a person who needs exact instructions what to do. All of you gave me enough of material to consider, but final decision is only my responsibility. So most probably i will go there on north and check 3 to 5 cars and then i will make a decision what i will do. One possibility is that i will start to hate buying a rr car, but this is also some kind of solution.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #291 ·
You are not "risking" 200 €. You would be wisely investing 200 €.
If the car is a lemon (collision damage or whatever), investing 200 € could save you thousands of euros in repairs.

Before buying my 88 Silver Spur, in California, I purchased a third party inspection (for much more than 200 €) never regretted.
I paid another third party inspection on a Silver Cloud I, for sale on ebay : saved me thousands of euros NOT buying the car.
I agree. That's why i will most probably do it. Thanks!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
I deeply agree about the luck in life. It is better to miss a dic. than being without a luck 😂.

·
Registered
517 Posts
MAN, this thread has grown to 15 pages long, it will be interesting to see what Samosali finally settles on and how the outcome will be over the weeks and months, keep us posted Samosali. :unsure: :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
MAN, this thread has grown to 15 pages long, it will be interesting to see what Samosali finally settles on and how the outcome will be over the weeks and months, keep us posted Samosali. :unsure: :)
Could not agree more. I am not sure which is more important, the paperwork to get it imported, or the car itself.

I do know that, IMHO,the prices you are looking at are way too much. Here in the UK, early 90s Spirits Spurs can be bought for around £15k to 18k with a two year warranty from reputable dealers. Perhaps we are just lucky here or have more sense than pay high prices for 30 year old cars.

Jake.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here in the UK, early 90s Spirits Spurs can be bought for around £15k to 18k with a two year warranty from reputable dealers. Perhaps we are just lucky here or have more sense than pay high prices for 30 year old cars.
More than common "sense*", main reason is supply and demand :
  • ample supply of early SZ in UK, with low local demand, at the moment ;
  • low international demand for RHD cars, aggravated by low probability of rust free cars in UK (where do all these second hand engines come from ? ).

* even in UK, some 30 years old cars change hands for ridiculously high prices ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
Could not agree more. I am not sure which is more important, the paperwork to get it imported, or the car itself.

I do know that, IMHO,the prices you are looking at are way too much. Here in the UK, early 90s Spirits Spurs can be bought for around £15k to 18k with a two year warranty from reputable dealers. Perhaps we are just lucky here or have more sense than pay high prices for 30 year old cars.

Jake.
You mean RHD cars i guess. I do not want a rhd car. In addition, even if lhd car was cheap in UK, i must pay custom duty and taxes which is 32 % more of UK price.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·

Jake.
You mean RHD cars i guess. I do not want a rhd car

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Samo,

We have enough discussed I think for the moment. You want an LHD and I understand.
Start your trip, see several cars, take one night to make your decision, then act.

We are waiting for your final decision.
We have given you, I have the feeling, many information to deal with and help you identify priorities , bad & good points.

Start your raod trip, it time to replace talks by acts !
All the best

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I suspect that given that there are so few cars around the OP that it will take months or years before the stars align and he finds the right car. By then, this thread will become the most epic non car purchase thread ever.

281 - 300 of 375 Posts