Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies and gentlemen,

Horsepower and torque figures have been discussed and speculated here on this forum and I wanted to inquire if anyone knows how to reach out to Bentley and if they would answer what the official figures would be on my 1997 Bentley Turbo R long wheelbase.

I came across specs on a 1994 Model that give a quote of 355 Horsepower and 5553 ft. Lbs of torque. For my 97 model, I am seeing 385 horsepower and the SAME torque digit as the 94….however - I found a Turbo R Sport with 385 Horsepower and 569 ft. Lbs of torque….would lead me to believe that my car would have the same torque spec v. The car with 355 Horsepower. Being a stickler for detail - do you think Bentley would give me the official specs….I know they have been tight lipped about this in the past????

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
They'll tell you it's adequate

The Continental R page on Wikipedia indicates the following for 1996 MY, I expect yours will be the same:

By the 1996 model year, the Continental R was priced at £187,354 in the UK. The year saw some of the most significant changes since the launch of the car, notably the inclusion of the liquid cooled chargecooler as standard, along with an improved Zytek EMS3 engine management system which meant improvement in throttle response and fuel efficiency along with a digitally controlled turbo over-boost. Power output of the engine was increased as a result, and a change in policy by Rolls-Royce: this was the first time performance figures were officially released by the manufacturer, departing from a long tradition of describing performance as "adequate" or "sufficient". Probably the reason for this is because the figures were very impressive: 385 hp (287 kW; 390 PS) at 4,000 rpm and torque of 750 N⋅m (550 lb⋅ft) starting to be available at only 2,000 rpm,

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Al,

I guess I thought it was strange that Horsepower went up but the torque stayed the same….surely that would’ve gone up from the 94 model year…..

Kindly,
Stephen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts