Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,
I hope this post is within forum rules! I have a strange request. I am looking to hire an Arnage on behalf of my Father as part of his "bucket list" if you will of things he'd like to do. He's always been a great admirer of the car, however we've never been able to afford one. We'd be looking to essentially be driven around for half a day or so by the owner (as I suspect we wouldn't be allowed to drive it ourselves which is fair enough!) and essentially enjoy the ride in this fabulous car.

This is an odd request, I know, but I'd really like to do this for him. Are there any owners out there who could help out, or be able to recommend someone? We live in Gloucestershire.

Thanks for reading!

Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
Charming request, Dan. And if we were still at Lomond I would actually drive down to Gloucestershire and fulfill your father's request, just for the fun of meeting a fellow who loves this particular model as much as we do. Unfortunately, after my regiment was amalgamated into a larger unit back in 2006, we moved to the Western desert--in the States, not the Sahara, where my own father served with distinction during WWII--in which our old friend enjoys largely dry weather to coddle his undercarriage.

As a point of order: the Arnage comes in different flavours. Ours is one of the early cars, with a 4.4-litre twin-turbo BMW-sourced Cosworth-massaged V8 to pull it down the road (try and say that fast nine times!). This is the motor this car was designed to carry. It's a sophisticated thing, with engine management that was quite modern for the period. Later models with the old Rolls-Royce 6.75-litre, a massive lump with legendary torque, were significantly heavier than our car, nearly five-hundred extra pounds which meaningfully changed the driving dynamics. The early Arnage had 50/50 weight distribution, a remarkable achievement by industry standards, especially when we consider that development money was tight and that Rolls was a small firm that still built things by hand. So when you finally secure your dad's ride in one of these rolling living rooms, note that Red Label cars of the kind you are most likely to encounter will impress above all with their effortless thrust: these are brutally fast motorcars that cosset their passengers in a clubroom "atmosphere that simply reeks with class" (in the words of Irving Berlin). I wish you and your father the best of everything always.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi J.M - thank you for your very generous reply. A fantastic read! I’m determined to find one!

all best
Dan

·
Registered
17 Posts
My pleasure, Dan--I wish you good fortune in your tasteful endeavour!
Sincerely,
J.M.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts