Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of my Honey Gold Silver Shadow II.

It's a 75th Anniversary model, which means it has red badges instead of black, and has a plaque in the glove compartment. Apart from that, the spec would have been specified by the original owner as usual.

In the USA (and possibly Canada) the 75th Anniversary models all came in one special colour scheme. Silver bodywork, with grey seats piped red and red carpets.

(the pictures aren't as good as I would have liked! They were made by its previous owner)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's actually still in the UK. Later this month I'm going to see it, but it won't be coming back to Germany until the winter is over properly.

When it's here I'll look into registering it properly, but it is possible to drive around in Germany on UK plates for quite a while.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I was!

I met the SSII for the first time. It had recently been serviced and a new battery fitted. I drove it about 70 miles to London on the first day of ownweship and stayed overnight. The next day I left the hotel to meet my dad and a sister. On the way I needed petrol (a regular occurance!) but after filling up it wouldn't start! The starter simply clicked and the battery didn't have enough juice in it! Obviously a starter/alternator problem because the battery was new.

There was a Vauxhall workshop next to the garage and one of the grease monkeys was able to help me get it going. I met dad and the sister and we decided we'd take a chance and drive it 120+ miles down to mums on the SW coast, based on the knowledge that the car had started first thing in the morning at the hotel so perhaps it just needed another good run. A problem with a lot of these cars is lack of use I believe, so I viewed my weekend with the car as a recommissioning process. (the annual MOT documents that I have only show a difference of a couple of hundred miles per year).

We got to mums without any problems but the next day it simply clicked again and wouldn't start! We jumped started it and kept it running for the return journey, which ended up being a very long one because the sister got us lost in West London and there was an accident on the M3. After I'd finally dropped dad off I had no choice but to go straight back to where i'd got the car as I knew it probably wouldn't start the next day (and I was right). So after a further 2 hours north I arrived at my friend, the previous owner of the car, and stayed there a couple of days.

The starting problem was a big set back, but on the positive side, after the car was started the car ran non stop on sunday for 8.5hrs without any issues. It covered a total of 530 miles over the couple of days that I had it and ran well (once started!)

So, I have made a list of about 20 problems, the 3 most important were the starting problem, tappety engine noise at tick over and squeeling brakes. the rest were cosmetic things with the interior, the cruise control not working etc.

I'm going to get the interior wood re-newed, either by swapping it with another car or having it stripped down etc. I'll also have the leather re-colonised so that it is pure shiny magnolia once again. The inside will also be completely valeted. At the moment, it really is near mint externally. The body work really is good, so is underneath.

In about 4 weeks I'll go and pick it up. By then the alternator problem will be fixed, the inside will match the perfect exterior and the car really will be a beautiful example of a UK 75th Anniversary Shadow II!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thread a little old

This thread is rather old, but I've just joined this forum. Have you taken that lovely gold Shadow II back home now?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts