Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all...I just joined this forum. I'm hoping you can kindly help me. A little over 5 years ago my father passed away and I went through a divorce, and a 1985 Spirit I have was left to sit in my parking lot while I dealth with those issues. Keeping up with my other cars was always easier than with the Rolls, especially with accumulators, electrical, etc etc. I know, I know...I shouldn't have let it sit, but what is done is done. I'm finally now getting to the car. After looking under the rear of the car, I see the rear axle is on the ground. Rams of course have bled down. What could cause the axle to be so low? I remember having to weld the spring support on a rear control arm....but both sides look intact...I haven't tried to jack it up yet. I know I'm going to have to drop the tank, replace the fuel pump, and switch out my KE Jetronic fuel distributor....what else can I expect to be facing letting this sit for so long? I just want to start it so I can move it, and then I'll go through hydraulics, accumulators, etc. I've heard that the mineral oil cars don't degrade too much. How about the undercarriage? Do these cars hold up against rust? I appreciate any thoughts....many thanks in advance!! R/ Joe

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi Joe,
I haven't had mine for all that long, so I'm not an expert, but I'd probably do the following:
Generally, with cars that have been sitting for a long time, I'd build up oilpressure before starting the engine. So either pull the spark plugs or disconnect the fuel feed and ignition and then crank the engine until you have oil pressure.
If you suspect that there is water in the oil, change it. This will be very difficult if you can't get under it though!
Switch off anything that's not necessary, including airco and such.
If it starts, cross your fingers that the hydraulics will build up pressure. And don't forget that the brakes won't work without pressure!
Leave it running until (hopefully) all the lights have gone out!

Best if luck!

Es

1 - 2 of 2 Posts