Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1970 silver shadow with some work to be done.
We renewed the heads, pistons rings bearings gaskets etc etc.
My mechanic tested the engine which was running very smoothly and good.
BUT! I noticed a small drop of oil leaking from the tell tale hole.
Well we did not changed the liner seals ( I know was a mistake) but now the car is ready and engine back on the car.
Now i just ask you guys: How is related and how common is the COOLANT mixing with oil.? Please help me im new in these kind of cars 馃殫
Thanx in advance and hi from Italy

Registered
Liner seals have to be really bad before coolant will get into the sump. That is what the weep holes are for. The coolant liner seals sound fine if there is only oil coming out and no coolant. Personally, I would not be concerned about a little oil weeping out. Many older engines have the same problem and even if you were to replace the liner seals yourself, it is an expensive exercise and not as straightforward as it sounds.

Jake.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Liner seals have to be really bad before coolant will get into the sump. That is what the weep holes are for. The coolant liner seals sound fine if there is only oil coming out and no coolant. Personally, I would not be concerned about a little oil weeping out. Many older engines have the same problem and even if you were to replace the liner seals yourself, it is an expensive exercise and not as straightforward as it sounds.

Jake.
Thanx buddy.! This happened why im new in these engines.! I hope it will be only oil cause now the car is like new.!

Registered
Replacing liner seals is high risk, my block was wrecked, and the next block, the third one survived.

I would leave it if not too bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts