Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Headliner removal SY cars

7K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Hank 
#1 ·
I noticed the the headliner section is missing from TSD4200 on the AU website. Anyone have other links/sources?
Thanks, Rob

#2 ·
They do not exist as part of TSD4200.

Apparently everything beyond section S8 is "the same as in TSD2476" (the SY1 workshop manual). Take a look at Chapter S in the SY1 Workshop Manual starting around PDF page 45.

#4 ·
Does anyone know if there is any sort insulation foam attached to the headliner material in a Shadow (1974)? I'm considering lining at least part of my roof with MegaZorbe melamine foam (1/2 inch thick) to reduce the heat absorption of my car in the Australian Summer. Naturally I don't want it to interfere with the drape of the vinyl.

#5 ·
You have a vinyl headliner? There is insulation glued to the inside of the roof panel. There is nothing attached to the back of the headliner fabric.
I will be replacing another one within a month.
BTW most of your heat will be developed from the greenhouse effect of the glass. If I had to park my car in the sun for long periods of time, I would invest in an outdoor "dustcover". It will shield the damaging effects of the sun on paint, wood and leather. These are big tickets areas.

#6 ·
Thanks for that Wraithman. Yes the headliner is vinyl of some sort (Vaumol?). Most of them are, no?
If there's insulation already there I'll leave well enough alone. I already have an appointment to get the windows tinted with the latest ceramic film, which is not a luxury in the Australian summer.
I'm currently putting the aircon system back together after rebushing the control box flaps and having the heater core rebuilt, so it was a bit of a case of shipwright's disease thinking about ways to maximise the efficiency of the HVAC system.

Do you know what the roof insulation is made of, just out of curiosity?

#8 ·
The A/C system in the SY has very good cooling. There is a horsehair type padding bonded to the roof.
It would not be worth your while to remove the headliner to add insulation.

I think your best bet would be a reflective type outdoor cover. It will reflect damaging sun rays to the paint ,leather and wood and keep the car cool.

#10 ·
I can definitely help you with SY 1966-80 cars. Send a message to Jim, our experienced moderator. The RREC of Australia has active forums groups by model as well.
Your cellphone will be your friend to document things along the way.
Good luck

#12 ·
Hi Matthew, sorry for the late reply but I have been working out of the shop this week. I've never removed one from a 25/30, but I would assume it is much the same as other coachbuilt cars of the era. There will likely be trim panels all around the sides that hide where the liner is tacked to wood trim around the roof perimeter. Then there may be either steel rods that spring from side to side that slide through loops in the liner, or the liner could be nailed to wooden bows that go from side to side. The wood trim around the inside of the rear window will most likely need removing, and possibly the windscreen trim too. Just start carefully removing trim around the perimeter and you should find your way. There could likely also be trim pieces that are a mystery how they are attached, they may have tacks embedded in the substrate under the trim upholstery that can be very difficult to remove without damage. If you can post some pictures of the interior I may be able to advise you better.

#19 ·
On my '78, I'm stripping it down to a raw shell, so the headliner and all of that is coming out of course. The problem I am having is with removing the <many expletives here> glue that holds on the sound deadening between the foam, and the metal of the roof. I have tried alcohol, acetone, dry ice, freeze spray, a wire wheel on a grinder (would NOT recommend)...has anyone successfully gotten this sticky mess to submit to your will? If so, I would LOVE to know how you got it done.

#20 ·
After writing out that list of things I HAVE tried to remove the glue...I noticed "Steam" wasn't on the list, so I pulled out the wife's steam gun for the heck of it, and BAM!! Works like a champ at getting the adhesive to give up the ghost. Not fond of mixing steam and steel, but theres a paint barrier, and worst case I get some surface rust in places where I scrape the paint, easily fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.