Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
door cap refurb

Thanks for the feedback - the varnish really brings out the colour of the wood naturally, you'd be surprised at how much it transforms the shade as well as texture.
BRILLIANT POST :)I know it was 4 yrs ago but fantastic post, Get yourself a drink :wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brilliant read!
Thank you very much! I wish there were more of these "tutorials" on this forum. Would it maybe be an idea to open a Tutorial Chapter?

How do you guys take of the remaining varnish? With a heat gun? Or just, as I understood, sanding and prying with some sharp tools. I would be afraid to damage the fineer when sanding.

Is there a tutorial post that shows how to remove the seats and rear bench?

Armed with this post, and possibly a post tat shows how to remove the seats, I have a great project for the winter. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brilliant read!
Thank you very much! I wish there were more of these "tutorials" on this forum. Would it maybe be an idea to open a Tutorial Chapter?

How do you guys take of the remaining varnish? With a heat gun? Or just, as I understood, sanding and prying with some sharp tools. I would be afraid to damage the fineer when sanding.

Is there a tutorial post that shows how to remove the seats and rear bench?

Armed with this post, and possibly a post tat shows how to remove the seats, I have a great project for the winter. ;)
Ha ha. Sorry, I now see that it is in the guide section. :)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Just found guide on "restoring classic car wood trim" on diyinfozone.com which is very informative and would be an additional enhancement to this thread, happy sanding & varnishing & polishing, Larry.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've just found this thread also. Great work. Thanks to jseaman and bentleyman. This has been particularly instructive. Thanks for taking the time out to put it up.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Personally, I would get this job done professionally, unless you have knowledge of the technique used in the factory and a suitable workshop and equipment, because the finished result achieved by the original post in this threat looks like a DIY disaster to me - I'm sorry to the original poster. It's lopped a load off the value of that car - would have been better left as it was.

Don't underestimate how important the wood is in these cars if you want to re-sell one. It's one of the big reasons people want these cars. Wrong wood (or leather) is the kiss of death to achieving a decent price and a sale in a reasonable period of time.

I've been watching a Turbo R on the market for a few months which seemingly is a nice low mileage car - but the wood has been given a similar treatment and as a result nobody wants it.

It's not all that costly to have it done right.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I followed this guide. It was helpful, especially for the hidden screws. The only thing I would add is the lock knob had a jamb nut. If you don't hold the lock rod while breaking the knob free you can break the plastic pivot the other end is attached to. I found out the hard way. Pivot is a pia to change. My car is a 1997.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Refinishing Projact

What a great demonstration ! Every base is covered and the refinishing work looks absolutely beautiful. Super job. Time consuming I know as I pulled ALL wood from my 1962 220 sb MB five passenger convertible and refinished.

Cheers,
Todd

·
Registered
419 Posts
What a great demonstration ! Every base is covered and the refinishing work looks absolutely beautiful. Super job. Time consuming I know as I pulled ALL wood from my 1962 220 sb MB five passenger convertible and refinished.

Cheers,
Todd
I don't want to be controversial, but even from the photos, the finished piece looks absolutely awful to me. I would imagine, in the flesh, even worse.

In my opinion, it is something best left to a professional with the technique and equipment required because the wood is such an important feature of these cars, and, if it's wrong, it seriously devalues the car.

But each to their own, if you're happy with it, who am I to argue.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't want to be controversial, but even from the photos, the finished piece looks absolutely awful to me. I would imagine, in the flesh, even worse.

In my opinion, it is something best left to a professional with the technique and equipment required because the wood is such an important feature of these cars, and, if it's wrong, it seriously devalues the car.

But each to their own, if you're happy with it, who am I to argue.
I agree with you, when I have a chance I'll add to this thread on how to do this correctly, but this video, as posted earlier in the thread is pretty much how it's done.
The trick is lots of wet sanding and filling the grain with finish to achieve a mirror shine _ literally.
A proper job doesn't get done in a weekend, it can take weeks or even a month or two to achieve the perfect look.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I tried on a Mercedes wood. This is so thin, so difficult, so precise and require such an experience that I will not try again.
I agree with SInglemalt, wood is the essence in those cars, on a beautifull one it has to be perfect.

I insist, under the vernish the wood is so thin that you damage it if you are not experimentated.

Jean

21 - 34 of 34 Posts