Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner to a 88 spur and this forum has been tremendous help to solve things. The car has been sitting for over 10 years in a garage so I knew it would need refreshing of things. Fuel pump was bad as tested from info here, so a new one is coming along with the accumulator. Have a new fuel filter to install also. Power seat wasn’t working on the left side and low and behold again information from here to make it work. Won’t know about the accumulators or gas spheres yet until it is running but I’m preparing for them to be bad. Horn wasn’t working and info here told me what to check and it was the relay. Parts from FS have been quick in coming so shouldn’t be too much longer. Thank you thank you thank you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Jason, the folks on here have been great helping us get our 1991 Silver Spur II going too. Much like your car, ours set for years in a garage. New fuel pumps got it running, new accumulators got the brakes working, and new ECU units got the seats and mirrors working. Parts from Flying Spares usually getting to us in about 3 days. The information from this community has been such a great help. Don't be afraid to ask for help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jason you will have to replace all 4 spheres, they have a shelf life pf 5 to 7 years. They are not too difficult to replace, just some are very stubborn. There are two sub frame dampers, look like small shock absorbers, mounted horizontally in front of each rear wheel, expect these to have failed also.
Consider just about everything made of rubber will have to be replaced. On your car there are two flexible couplers (instead of u-joints) on the drive shaft, they NEED to be replaced, be sure and use new grade 8 bolts, six on each coupling. Also these couplings have arrows indicating what direction to insert the bolts, follow the arrows. On one of the Tours we were on, the bolts used were not hardened broke and drove the transmission up through the floor board.If he had been on the highway it could have been much worse.
Enjoy working on your ride, and you are going to be rewarded with a very fine riding/driving automobile.
JIm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jason you will have to replace all 4 spheres, they have a shelf life pf 5 to 7 years. They are not too difficult to replace, just some are very stubborn. There are two sub frame dampers, look like small shock absorbers, mounted horizontally in front of each rear wheel, expect these to have failed also.
Consider just about everything made of rubber will have to be replaced. On your car there are two flexible couplers (instead of u-joints) on the drive shaft, they NEED to be replaced, be sure and use new grade 8 bolts, six on each coupling. Also these couplings have arrows indicating what direction to insert the bolts, follow the arrows. On one of the Tours we were on, the bolts used were not hardened broke and drove the transmission up through the floor board.If he had been on the highway it could have been much worse.
Enjoy working on your ride, and you are going to be rewarded with a very fine riding/driving automobile.
JIm
I was anticipating that. I think I will just replace them. I watched a video on the rear 2. Those look easy to get off. Now the front 2 that’s gonna be interesting. Thought I’d get the beast to run first to see if I’m needing any other component in that system. May as well get it all done while it’s apart I say. I’m wondering if there are any suppliers of those in the California area that can get them to me quicker than FS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I give that place a try. And any special procedure for removing the couplers?

·
Registered
91 Posts
If I remember correctly, you can't be the weak Clark Kent to get them loose, they are on there TIGHT. They were to tight for me, I had to get my son over to be Superman. You may have to remove a cross member. also. It has been a couple of years since they were done, but I had to change them on all 4 cars I had that had them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here is a pair I removed from one of my cars, notice the one on the left is starting to fail also, so if you are going to do on, do both of them.

Jim

DSCN0205.JPG

·
Registered
687 Posts
Try this supplier,Hydraulic Spheres for Rolls-Royce / Bentley | myParts.org I used The Sphere Shop in the past, but they are no longer around.

To remove the front ones, get a long chisel and give it a good whack or tow near the base. Don't hit the valce body.

Jim
Jim, thanks for the referral. I've bookmarked the page. Those driveshaft couplings look a lot like those used in all my Mercedes Benz. I wonder if they interchange.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I believe they are used on several cars, just be sure the ones you get are the same size and spec.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts