Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have jumped in head first. I attained a basket case 88 Silver Spur and it turns out that both heads are melted. I have some rebuilt ones on the way and I am going to rebuild the brake pumps while I am there. I will also clean and test the injectors too. I bought tools for the pumps and for servicing the injectors too. I hope this turns out nice. The car is pretty nice, but it has been sitting for over a decade. Not a single injector has flowed well and 3 do not flow at all. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Definitely wishing you luck. It's OK to dive in this way if you go in knowing that you have a major task ahead of you!!

So many of these cars meet tragic ends, and long before they should if they were being used like cars should, from disuse and the results of same. So many die sudden deaths when someone believes they can just fire them up and drive them after they've been sitting in storage, and not correctly decommissioned before going into storage or recomissioned when coming out.

I presume you already have the collection of service documents such as the workshop manual for this car, but if not, definitely download them from the Bentley Heritage Technical Library and give the pertinent sections a good read-through.

Keep us posted on how things progress!

Reactions: ysrjunkie

·
Registered
366 Posts
If the studs are still in the block and have not ripped the threads out of the deck, than it probably didn't get that hot.
Still, checking the deck surface of the block with a PROPER straight edge would be a good idea.

Many injectors have fine screens in them that get clogged up with tiny rust particles.
Some screens can be removed and cleaned, while others can't.

Injectors that have been sitting a long time get seized up from old gasoline varnish _ this has to be cleaned off course.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
@ysrjunkie, where in TX are you? [That is, presuming the license plate on the car accurately reflects its current place of residence.]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Good luck with this. Those workshop manuals are definitely the place to start. Being Rolls Royce, they out as much attention to detail into the documentation as they did the cars. I know these are really complicated vehicles to work on, but I've found a lot of tasks a lot easier than expected because the documentation out there is just so good.

Worth bookmarking these two as well as the Bentley Workshop Manual site:

1. The Rolls-Royce and Bentley Technical Library - the Australian RROC site which has a load of technical info (by definition), and
2. The Rolls - some great articles on specific topics

The Rolls Royce Owners Club (rroc.org) also has a load of technical articles out there that they've been publishing since the eighties, but its about $95 per annum.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe I’m missing something, but it looks like a couple of those pistons have been whacked by a valve.

And I second the comment above-are you in Texas?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I’m missing something, but it looks like a couple of those pistons have been whacked by a valve.

And I second the comment above-are you in Texas?
You are correct. One piston has a valve indention. I am in Texas. Magnolia. I have a couple rebuilt heads on the way.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I don't know whether you've joined the RROC-US, but if you haven't it's at least worth considering.

Given where you live, you have quite a few resources within "easy reach" that most of us don't. If you haven't downloaded my, RR & Bentley Parts, Repair, Restoration & Other Resources Compilation, and taken a look under the Texas section (among others), you should.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Those are pretty good gouges in the pistons, checking the push rods for damage may be a good idea as well as the rocker arms etc.

One has to ask, what caused the valves to stick open like that, other then over heating, oil flow to the top of the head should be checked.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Turns out the injectors are poo poo. There was so much hard varnish on them it is incredible. I cleaned the heck out of them and brought 2 back to life, but I am going to get all new and likely send off the fuel meter to get rebuilt. I have used CIS Flowtech in the past on other projects and have loved the knowledge and quality. I appreciate all of the input guys. I am hoping to adapt all that my shop has done with Porsche and Ferrari in the past to welcome more Rolls/ Bentley work. Oh. From what I can tell, one valve was sticky and it lightly hit the piston likely after it had sat for many years.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Larry @ CISFlowtech is good. He calibrated my 1980 fuel dist.. As you are aware, due to your German car experience, the injectors are sourced from Bosch and can be shopped for best price. RR will bang you on the seals, oh well.
You are saving a bundle already.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
As a very wise engineer with lots of experience with cars from Crewe once told me:. Engineers don't design seals, they only use one of the hundreds of standard sizes in the required elastomer for the intended application.

If you measure your used seal, even after it has taken on a set shape from long compression, you'll easily locate the only seal size that's very close to it in the AS568 standard. Then buy the correct size in the needed elastomer.

·
Vendor
160 Posts
As a very wise engineer with lots of experience with cars from Crewe once told me:. Engineers don't design seals, they only use one of the hundreds of standard sizes in the required elastomer for the intended application.
...and then they designed that bastard retaining ring on the bottom of the brake pumps and the gallery seals between the calipers.:p

www.britishtoolworks.com/

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Regardless of what one might accuse Crewe of being short on, boutique engineering, and a great deal of it for no apparent real benefit, was not one.

The amount of Rube-Goldberg-ian stuff in these cars where the KISS principle should have been stringently applied is epic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also have to give a shout out to Kelley at British Tool Works for hooking me up with some awesome tools for me to rebuild my brake pumps. I haven't done it yet, but I hope to soon. I have a motorcycle race tomorrow that I am sure will wear me out for the rest of the weekend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts