Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Ghost

9K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Jeff R 1 
#1 ·
i took my car (Arnage) into the franchise agent for some warranty work. As they are 90 mins away i arranged with them to have a courtesy car (a BMW). Instead i got this Ghost. There is nothing on this car i would spec, not the interior choice, not the exterior colours, not the veneer (is piano black a veneer ?) But RR have created something truly special here, this is the nicest riding car buy a million miles i've ever driven. It even had me wondering how anyone could improve this ride, no squeaks, no rattles, like driving on a cotton wool cloud. easily as pokey as my Arnage T but just felt wrong rushing it. Cameras in the wings to see at junctions, a mind boggling cruise control trip where IT slows down, speeds up but also shakes the wheel if you swop lanes (but not if you indicate)
The only downer on this model was when i look on Autotrader, irrelevant of cost, there isnt one car that has a spec i could live with. Truly awful veneers, like a 70s wardrobe or black everything, awful. I've found my dream car, just need to find a gun and a bank

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Rolls-Royce offers: Walnut Burr, Bolivar Black, Piano Black, Paldao, Oak Cluster (burled oak, very light in color), Smoked Chestnut, Ash Burr, Mahogany, Oak Burr (burled oak, dark "eyes" in pattern), and Black Stained Ash in the Ghost. Way more veneer choices than were available "way back when" unless you went full bespoke. It's a feast of wood choices.

#4 ·
I agree I don't care for the Black, looks like plastic, if you're going to have wood let it look like wood, also the G-D*mn Grille, couldn't the surround be stainless like the insert, I don't understand this, I know about safety, crash this and that etc...hogwash! please RR, please come up with a more substantial Grille design, Like the new Phantom I do not like the "frenched in" style of grille, I suppose I would get used to it but it should look more substantial in my eyes especially with the substantial price that goes with it. Distinction is the name of the game for me...Love my Shadow, that's all I can say, distinctly and unmistakably a RR. Let me head anyone off at the pass...I can buy a Ghost if I want one, no need to find a gun or bank, well I suppose I would visit the bank, sans gun! lol, but truthfully I don't want one. I would however like a fully restored, mechanically and cosmetically, left hand drive Silver Cloud, I do like the lines on that car.
I do have an architect coming out next Wednesday to explore the expansion possibilities of my home and more importantly to me (don't tell my wife)the expansion of my garage...hehe (evil laugh)

#5 ·
I'm not saying that RR dont have the veneer choices, just that virtually every modern RR for sale i've looked at, have specs i just could not live with. It must be that my idea of a luxury spec is now deemed old fashioned. The point i'm making is when i look at older RR (shadows,spirits) i actually like the MAJORITY of the specs i see. On modern RR, i'm struggling to find one example. The salesman showed me a new Wraith that RR "inflict on them" (his words) dark exterior, black powder coated SoE, bloody purple interior, ghastly. Apparently trying to attract the younger customer (note to RR, leave the drug dealers to their Range Rovers)

#8 ·
I guess it all comes down to taste, or the lack thereof.

I absolutely love the wood in that photo, what I don't love is what surrounds it. It looks like Paldau done bespoke, bookmatched and arranged with the lines running diagonally rather than the "Crewe standard option" of the lines being horizontal [which was similar to the straight grained walnut used in the Bentley Eight].

That leather has to be bespoke (and I hate it).

#10 ·
Some woods, like teak (and this is very similar), are generally oil-rubbed, not varnished, except for nautical applications (and not always even then).

If you want the traditional "wood under a layer of water" varnished look the majority of the offerings will fill that bill.

#11 ·
Once again, agreed, the teak on my boat is all oil rubbed vs. varnished, it requires more maintenance but I do like that look on the boat because it just stays better in that environment (salt air and water) where the varnish seems to flake and look shabby but I do like the wet look in my cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.