Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just as this pandemic hit, I bought a 93 Continental R from an insurance auction. It was hit very lightly in the rear but enough to kink the rear wheel arch. A buddy of mine who's a body tech at a local GM dealership with a pretty stout frame machine took it in on Friday and has been working on straightening it out.

He indicated that the damage is very light but because the metal is so thick on these cars, he had to use a stud gun to pull the metal at the wheel arch. My job now is to find the paint. I've been told that Glasarut is the factory paint but my paint jobber who is a BASF dealer could not find it (I also looked at Kapsi and PPG). I suspect that I'm going to have to go through the paper catalogs to find it given the age.

The paint code is 9531033 DIAMOND BLUE SILVER

I'm pretty excited, this car only has 33000 miles and is the nicest car i've ever seen.

c79840a21e94ec0ee64193aacb9bac76884b1a75-14.jpg
19f509c9579fc28d13fdfe96036d9c02fa0cd754-14.jpg
0423042a9be6bb78922729a51fe0af8a84b89dfc-14.jpg

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I'll give you the number at PPG. You may have Spies-Hecker or Glasurit.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
See this post I made ages ago: Paint

It will be supplied by PPG now, but having the original color code allows PPG to look up its code very easily.

Diamond Blue Silver was originally supplied by BASF and their color code for it is L68Z016. You'll find that referenced in the RROC-Australia paint codes document.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Brian, thank you. English Color here in Dallas is a PPG and BASF dealer and could not find the color. They my find it with the # you provided. I heed to hustle and get the paint to my buddy tomorrow.

My only concern is that the RR paint code is different

ROLLS ROYCE​
DIAMOND BLUE SILVER​
9531033​
1993​
2000​
METALLIC​

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Check with the shop if they want single stage or 2k paint. Paint is expensive. I can tell you a gallon of Spies-Hecker can approach $800 a gallon.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
FYI metallic can be single stage, I shoot it all the time and many spot repairs (anything less than a full re-spray is considered spot) are done in SS
Good luck, hope for a good outcome

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FYI metallic can be single stage, I shoot it all the time and many spot repairs (anything less than a full re-spray is considered spot) are done in SS
Good luck, hope for a good outcome
Rob, thanks. I understand that you can get single stage metallic but I would not consider it because i'd like to buff the car at some point and would not want to risk removing the metal flakes if they're part of the top coat.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Please do report back on whether they were able to pull it up with the BASF number. If they couldn't, I'd seriously look for another shop.

RR assigned it's own freakin' code numbers to everything, including paint. It makes it so much more difficult to track down what actual parts are for these cars at times. The document from the RROC-Australia is as definitive as I've ever found, and I have yet to find an error in the code numbers they give for the actual paint that equates to a given RR paint name and number. That doesn't mean that an error might not exist, but it's your best starting point.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Brian,

The biggest paint jobber here is a BASF and PPG dealer. They could not get the code because apparently, the only PPG system that has is the water based system called Envirobase. I was told that this is a system that is kept for manufactures only so nobody like me could buy it as none of the paint jobbers would carry that system in their branches.

I was able to look at Kapci website and found the formula there even though the paint jobber did not have it in her system. Once I got the formula, they were able to mix me up a quart for $60. We're back in business.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick update on the car. I stopped by the shop yesterday and checked on the progress. They were painting the bumper while I was there and it looked good. The rest of the car was getting ready to go into the booth. The guys decided to prep both quarter panels and the roof to lay clear. They said that as they had no clear cut line on the quarter panels, they wanted to clear the whole back side of the car instead of burning the clear in so that it won't fail.

The toughest part was matching the paint. The mix I got from my paint jobber was not right so they had their paint supplier bring the camera over to the shop and match the paint. They indicated that they to a close match against a commercial lorry color that they were able to tint to match, as you can see on the test card.

It might be ready this afternoon and will update the thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts