Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car and I’m loving it! One thing is, I bump the gear selector when rotating the steering wheel. Is that something I have to get used to or is there someway to adjust it?

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
I've never bumped the gear selector while rotating the steering wheel on my Silver Shadow 11 but a friend of mine once accidentally bumped it when getting out of the driving seat. Could you post a photo of your steering wheel/gear selector so we can determine if something is out of line?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I've done it on the Corniche, I suspect that it's because it's got a Nardi steering wheel. Rookie mistake.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I've brightened your photo a bit so I can see the gap more clearly. It does look very close. The distance between the gear selector and the steering wheel in my car, taken at it's closest (P) is 2 1/4 inches, however my car is a 74 "series 1". I cannot imagine the engineers would reduce that gap for the series 2. (or maybe they did).

The two pics below are of your car and mine. (Yours looks in great condition)

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
On both of my Shadow 11s the closest the gear selector lever gets to the steering wheel is 2" and the furthest away 2 3/4" .
If the selector lever mountings are where they should be and tight, then I would suspect the selector lever has been bent if your measurements are less than this.

Jake.

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you take off the steering cowl at the base of the gear lever is a locking nut release it moves the gear lever away and relock the nut, refit the cowling if it has no lock nut you can take off the lever and then bend it at the first bend that will work.

·
Registered
198 Posts
if you take off the steering cowl at the base of the gear lever is a locking nut release it moves the gear lever away and relock the nut, refit the cowling if it has no lock nut you can take off the lever and then bend it at the first bend that will work.

Yes, slacking the selector clamp bolts will allow you to move the whole lever and gear indicator down the steering column a little.
Me personally, I would just carefully bend the lever further away. It will bend quite easily, I know because I have tried it.

Jake.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jake,
I am going a to bend the lever back a little. Yesterday will turning right I bumped it down a gear. Fortunately I was going slow and no harm done, but what if I had been turning left and bumped it into reverse? Can you offer and advice other than just grab it and go to work?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Yesterday will turning right I bumped it down a gear. Fortunately I was going slow and no harm done, but what if I had been turning left and bumped it into reverse?

Probably nothing, at least if you noticed what you'd done while at speed.

Most automatic transmissions will not shift straight from any forward gear into reverse unless the moving speed is very close to zero.

I once did this kind of bump in one of the GM cars we had when I needed to lunge for something and the car did not shift into reverse, or even try to, and I shifted right back where I should have been. Conversely, there have been at least two incidents in the distant past where I shifted into reverse while still moving forward but at very low speed. That shift was permitted to occur, and it's really, really jarring when it occurs under those circumstances regardless of how slow and gentle the forward movement may be.

Our cars may be easier to "shift accidentally" but it's still possible to have the same sort of unintended shifting in other marques as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If you are going to bend the selector lever further away from the steering wheel do not put any pressure on the cruise control switch area. Only put pressure on the chrome stalk, just below where the switch finishes.
It will require quite a lot of steady pushing to get it to bend, but it will. If you are struggling to get it to bend, I suggest you get a short length of 2x1in wood, place one end just below the switch and then carefully push.
If you do have to use a length of wood be very careful that it does not slip and damage either the steering wheel or cowl.
Good luck.

Jake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It sure doesn't look like 2". It looks like the space between the wheel and the lever is the thickness of the wheel rim. If you can remove the lever, you can bend it any amount you desire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It worked! I slipped the box end of a 1” wrench over the lever. That gave me the leverage to easily bend the lever back a little over an inch. Thanks to all for the advice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts