Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI ALL, IM NEW TO THE FORUM I HAVE A 67 SHADOW 1 THATS DEVELOPED A STRANGE NOISE FROM THE O/S/R IT DOES'NT DO IT ALL THE WHILE AND THERES NO PATTERN TO IT, I'LL BE DRIVING ALONG NO PROBLEM THEN OUT OF THE BLUE A GRINDING/GROWLING NOISE APPEAR THEN IT STOPS THEN STARTS STOPS AND ON AND ON THEN IT STOPS AND WONT DO IT AGAIN, IT'S A NOISE I'VE NEVER HEARD BEFORE ON ANY CAR BEARINGS AXLE ETC, HAS ANY BODY HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM, JUST WONDERING IF ANY BODY CAN HELP, THANK YOU, SPENCER.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Possibilities.
1. The rear pads are worn down to the metal,

2. the caliper is seizing and heating up the hub, the grease is melting and the bearing is becoming worn.

3. the handbrake linkage is seized and the handbrake pads are worn to the metal.

4. The driveshaft U/J is worn or the Detroit coupling is out of lubricant on the drivreshaft.

5. something is coming into contact with the wheel.

If you can rule all of these things out then let me know I will ponder a little more.

Matt.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Possibilities.
1. The rear pads are worn down to the metal,

2. the caliper is seizing and heating up the hub, the grease is melting and the bearing is becoming worn.

3. the handbrake linkage is seized and the handbrake pads are worn to the metal.

4. The driveshaft U/J is worn or the Detroit coupling is out of lubricant on the drivreshaft.

5. something is coming into contact with the wheel.

If you can rule all of these things out then let me know I will ponder a little more.

Matt.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks mate

thanks mate it's amazing it has'nt happened since and most of what you mentioned has been replaced during restoration a couple of years ago, if it happens again i'll let you know, thanks again for your time, spencer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts