Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Good points probably a little of both. I only ran the pump maybe for 2-3 minutes at most either way its bad.. I am going to pull the tank, replace the fuel pump and blow out all the lines with air. I will report back my progress. Thanks again guys!!

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Buy a "scope" and look into the tank. The gas tank is made with Terne steel which is rust resistant and widely used, so rust may not be evident. I have opened cars that have sat for years with no rust in the tank. You will save alot of labor by leaving it in place. Follow the fuel sysytem from the tank forward and you may find the issue. Simple in thought but frustrating in practice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
The scope is a good idea. I have the tank about 90% disconnected expect for the filler hose and of course the "glue" holding the tank down. What I found when I pulled the sending unit I could see a thin layer of syrup and the bottom but no rust at all.. I found it strange when I unhooked the hose to the fuel pump from the gads tank no fuel came out of that line. I have 2 gallons of gas in tank. I will be back at in about 1 hr.

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
If you're going to pull the tank out you need a bunch of wide wood wedges to get it free from the sound deadening underneath. Here's a pic with one but I have another half dozen that went in along the bottom after it. You slowly tap each one in progression until the tank is free. If and when it's out replace the fuel pickup O ring and outlet hose now before they fail.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Grille

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Thanks Jim for the info. I used my pry bars gently. It's unglued from the bottom just taking a break now so will be back at in a few minutes. Got the fuel pump and line out already it was clogged up t the tank.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I had to use river rocks I don't have any wedges. The adhesive slowing coming unloose sounds like bacon cooking on the stove. I just wish it smelled that way.. bad gas really stinks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Should I just go to flying spares for the hose? Mine has a metal sleeve inside the rubber.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Okay just can out!!! Definitely a baby boy...what a pain in the butt...ha ha.. I am very happy now :)

So just let it soak in baking soda and white vinegar ??

There is no rust in the tank will that work for the syrup on the bottom?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Thanks for the wedge idea Jim if you didn’t post it probably would have taken longer..

I will check out Albers..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I am going to call Albers tomorrow. I am surprised how tricky it is to find a Bosch 0580254918 fuel pump or one that fits an 85 Spirit. Amazon has an aftermarket from China for $29..probably junk.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Its definitely a tricky deal trying to get the right fuel pump I was told its a Bosch 0580254918. I was was also told I need a different type of pump with a dampneer etc. What do you think of this one in the link below? Do I need a dampener?

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Get the right pump....period. You are saving loads of money doing this on your own and now want to use cheap parts? The savings should be spent on the correct parts.
Question....if the pump fails on the road, how much is flatbed service.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I agree. I just posted that one because its the only one that pops up for 85 silver spirit, I am not buying it I would like to get a Bosch. Everything is for 81-83 and the Bosch 0580254918 seems out of stock everywhere I have looked so far. I just email flying spares. even on there site they don't show a pump for a 85 sliver spirit.

I am trying to find the RIGHT pump seems a little tricky..

I am still working on it:)

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Your source for Bosch components should not be from FS and the like. Source it from Mercedes parts houses.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
I was told that was the Bosch number now I am not so sure. I definitely want to get the correct fuel pump set up..

61 - 80 of 108 Posts