Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
41 - 60 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
The "missing relay" pic shown is not missing a relay per se. Other countries have requirements that your car did not need, so they use the same loom and during production, it is blanked off with insulators so no one uses the space.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Your car may have an engine run sensor instead of a fuel pump relay. Check under the glovebox, behind the row of relays for a square white cube about 1.5 inches square up under the dash. It will have a sticker on it that says Avant engine run timer or sensor on it. They are known to fail and cause fuel pump issues. Some of the engine management systems will only run the pump when the engine is being cranked over, not just with the ignition on. You have to use a test lamp on the fuel pump feed wire and check that it illuminates when the engine is cranked.

Thanks Jim! I will look for it today.. I appreciate the help!!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
The "missing relay" pic shown is not missing a relay per se. Other countries have requirements that your car did not need, so they use the same loom and during production, it is blanked off with insulators so no one uses the space.

Oh okay got it. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
980 Posts
No, look up underneath the dash with your head laying on the passenger floor carpet. It will be held to a metal bracket with two small screws if it's there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Unfortunately no white cube under the passenger side fuse panel under dash. I did crank it over several times with the jumper line to the fuel pump and without. The fuel pump is not running with the jumper on and I don't think its running while cranking. I am still getting an electrical humming noise at the fuel distributor area when the jumper wire is connected. I still do not know if I have power to the fuel pump while cranking because I will have to rig up a test light. I did get the vehicle to run for a few seconds with starter fluid it sounds great so that gives me a boost of energy to figure the electrical/ fuel pump figured out. I won’t be available to get back at it until next week. I will do some more reading and thinking about the issue, If anyone has any additional ideas its much appreciated. Thanks for everyones help so far I have learned so much!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I still haven’t figured out the location of the fuel pump relay. Any advice were I should look for it?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Item 6 at illustration "D" ? I guess. At least it is called "Engine running". It is page 232 of TSD4400. Check for exactly drawing for your car at the beginning of the chapter M2 if not fit.
Anyway check section "U" of this manual. There you can find "theoretical wiring diagram"... probably for your car.
White Automotive design Motor vehicle Font Automotive exterior

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
I have been struggling trying to find the diagram for my car. I will check it out.

Thank you I really appreciate the help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Section U only goes up to 100 pages can you tell me what section you got Illustration D from?

·
Registered
385 Posts
It is from section M2 "Relays", page 25 (232 of pdf) ;) But the theoretical circuit diagram for injection system is in section U2, page 22 (1397 of pdf)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Thanks! I was looking at the 8 electrical sections on the right I didn't see the one that says "M electrical Complete"

This is going to really help. Hopefully I can get this figured out next week.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Take attention, that you need manual for MY1985, eventually 1986, if your car was produced in the end of the year. Notice, that sometimes, in the manuals, is specified VIN numbers range too. If you want to repair the car, you need to find proper circuit diagrams.

In my posts I mentioned TSD4400 manual, edited in 1985. It is probably available at RROC Australia website (check post pinned at the top of this forum) as one, big pdf file.
You can try to check TSD47xx series manuals if they cover your car. However TSD4737 mentions fuel systems with two fuel pumps already, so, it could be useless for you.

Manuals for MY1989 and newer cars are useless for you, as there were a lot of modifications in electrical system.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I printed a few sections to read over the weekend from https://rrtechnical.info/sz/sz80.html I will check out the RROC Australia site. I will definitely be looking for the circuit diagram. You are right I have to find the correct info for my car. I think the relay for the fuel pump is in the trunk. I will be back at it on Monday so I will post any progress I have made.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think the relay for the fuel pump is in the trunk.
I don't believe in that. If you cannot locate "running engine sensor", then sometimes fuel pump relay is called in manuals like "engine cranking relay" or something. It is why I suggested "Engine running relay".

Anyway it is hard to help if configuration of the car is not known. Like: is it turbo version? is there installed catalytic converter? is the car designated for USA market (if not, if imported privately, from which country)? etc.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
All good questions. it's not a turbo, I have a fuel distributor and its a left hand drive car. Not sure if I have a catalytic converter I will double check. The last numbers on my vin is 12227. Looks like your original response illustration D engine running under the drivers side dash is probably correct according to the workshop manual. I wonder why they are calling it "Engine Running". I will know more on Monday when I am back if front of the car.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)
Ok so I pretty much know my fuel pump is bad and not functioning correctly since it stopped working when I hot wired it. So I am in the process of taking it out. Probably all gummed up like the fuel tank was. Man they really over engineered the way it's mounted to the car. I am struggling to get the final connection off see pic. any tips, tricks or suggestions? I may just disconnect it further up the line. Will be back at tomorrow. Also whats interesting is when I disconnect the fuel line from the fuel pump, the line that goes to the tank I was expecting all the gas to come out. I had put two gallons in a week ago and nothing came out. brown gas was coming out the fuel pump but very little maybe a 1/4 cup. Any reason fuel did't come out of the tank from that line??

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Your car was not used for many years.
/a/ Fuel line could be clogged with rust and/or dirt;
/b/ There should be filter/sieve at the end of fuel line in the tank.
Probably, it could be a good idea to clean/flush the fuel tank too.

41 - 60 of 108 Posts