Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving my 1980 SWII back from the ice cream stand when it died at a light, started after a few attempts and lucky for me a couple blocks from the house. It has been real warm here and this happened last week as well and put me on notice.
This was the only item in the ignition system that was not replaced.

I removed the module and ordered parts from Mouser Electronics. Total cost to repair will be less than $20.

My 1976 has the same module so I doubled the parts quantity just in case.
Opus module.JPG

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Please do report back (and with photos, if you're so inclined, of your rebuild process).

But I have little doubt that ambient temperature has much to do with this, as my Lucas Opus ignition failed in the dead of winter. They seem to go out when they want to go out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
FTP!!!??? How dare she! Does she not know she's a RR? She dares refuse to work in the heat (much like the men who work for my construction company). Off with her head I say!!!
Seriously though, are you rebuilding the original module? I'm not familiar with Mouser Electronics.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, electronics do fail without notice. I also noticed there was little if any airgap which should be .014-.016. The ferrite core was fine (some crack).
As you may know there was an excellent photo doc/essay on the AU forum that I had downloaded some time ago and its on my reference thumb drive.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mouse and Digikey are parts suppliers to the electronics industry and my go to sources. There are no minimum quantities..

·
Registered
3,547 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Brian, I archived yours also.
I finished mapping out the radio/tape/relay switchover board in the '76. I'm adding a very small on-on 4 pole toggle switch to choose "new radio" vs "original radio". A common ground has to be maintained for the old Blaupunkt/Pioneer system. New systems cannot bundle spkr comm and chassis ground. I did this on the WraithII but never documented the board.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
If, at some point, you'd share that sound-system info I'd appreciate it. Eventually I'll have to do the same thing with LRK37110 and the 8-track. It's got the Blaupunkt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts