Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I posted a few questions in the 1965-1980 era but think that in the technical assistance it may be viewed quicker.
My car shop tells me that frion for the ss II is no longer available and I will have to convert my system (radiator) to a different system. Any advise.
also, I have a leak in rack and pinion area which was reconditioned a couple of years ago...is there a sealant available for this? It is leaking a lot of power steering fluid. to get the system tip top or do I change it out?
also, my radio/cassette is not working....it was a couple of years ago ...I think there is a short in the wiring connecting the speakers as I do hear something when I turn the on button. Who best/most reasonable to work on something like this?
Also, my car floor boards get really HOT! uncomfortable so. is this normal for the SSII to run hot like this? my car shop says it is normal.
Thanks for any advise.
and lastly...for now. the grey interior is a bit cracked and dry...what is the best cleaner, hydrator, softener to recondition leather??

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
ziv said:
Hi. I posted a few questions in the 1965-1980 era but think that in the technical assistance it may be viewed quicker.
My car shop tells me that frion for the ss II is no longer available and I will have to convert my system (radiator) to a different system. Any advise.
R12 is definitely still available and if your system is not leaking there are shops that still work with it. However, there is no doubt that the trend is toward conversions to R134a and, in the long haul, you're eventually going to have to do this anyway. There is nothing particularly esoteric about the "in engine compartment" parts of the climate control system, with the possible exception of the suction throttling valve. If you can find a good AC shop that has experience with doing conversions to R134a from R12 systems you need to talk to them.

There is a document from Rolls-Royce about doing a correct suction throttling valve delete in the system since these are no longer available. I can't attach files here, but if you PM me with your e-mail I can send that along.

also, I have a leak in rack and pinion area which was reconditioned a couple of years ago...is there a sealant available for this? It is leaking a lot of power steering fluid. to get the system tip top or do I change it out?
You need to do a full rebuild on your steering rack. If you're a do-it-yourselfer be sure to read the article in the Praeclarum entitled, Racking Your Brains. If you're having someone else rebuild your rack, make sure they have a copy of this information. The steering racks on these cars are well known weak spots.

also, my radio/cassette is not working....it was a couple of years ago ...I think there is a short in the wiring connecting the speakers as I do hear something when I turn the on button. Who best/most reasonable to work on something like this?
Just be very, very careful who you entrust this job to. It's not that there's anything exotic to be done, but great care must be exercised not to damage your leather or wood when removing the center console.

Also, my car floor boards get really HOT! uncomfortable so. is this normal for the SSII to run hot like this? my car shop says it is normal.
Yes, this is "normal" and no, you should NOT allow the situation to continue. The catalytic converters throw off enormous heat and there was insufficient heat shielding/sinking around them. Many fires have been documented by the carpet padding catching fire.

Thanks for any advise.
and lastly...for now. the grey interior is a bit cracked and dry...what is the best cleaner, hydrator, softener to recondition leather??
Again, you'll get multiple answers. The two products that I hear most routinely praised are Conolley Hide Conditioner and Leatherique products.

Brian, who also suggests you check into joining the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club

1 - 2 of 2 Posts