Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Forum Compared to My Jag Forum

8K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  Jean7 
#1 ·
Good AM, Just joined in the past two week. Perhaps our Bentley's are more trouble free than (most ?) think ?? . I've noticed there are very few questions regarding how to repair etc. Most owners must not be hands on and rely on repair shops to do the job. I will know doubt go that rout as I have yet to delve into any repairs as of yet.

Now my Jaguar Forum (quite a cult) is broken down into all model categories. It's definitely hands on. If I can't figure out how to repair, there are numerous members all over the US that will walk me through it as my 1974 OTS Series III V-12 is actually pretty much straight forward. Perhaps unlike our RR's & Bentley's.

I do not claim to be a journeyman mechanic however am a bit mechanically inclined as I raced B Production Sanctioned SCCA "back in the day". So my fellow owners can anyone recommend a Bentley repair shop in Denver just in case I need one. I am located in Vail Colorado 100 miles from the City. Hopefully my 2002 Azure would be able to make that drive over a couple 11,000 ' passes.

Also, where might I find a Parts/Repair manual for my specific vehicle. Many thanks to anyone that responds.

Best Wishes,
Todd Keleske
tmkkel@yahoo.com

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Hi Todd,

I think the issue may be there are simply less Rolls and Bentley cars around because they were always made in limited numbers and therefore there are less people who need to find out stuff about them.

Even today, Bentley only make 10,000 cars a year, which is probably a fraction of what Jaguar makes. But, when it was Rolls Royce & Bentley, total production, for both marques, used to average around 3000 cars a year in the 60' 70' 80's and 90's. I don't know what Jaguar averaged in those decades, but I would imagine an awful lot more.

So basically, it's all down to exclusivity!!

Flying Spares in the UK will sell you a CD official workshop manual for your car - I think around £25.

You can also browse the parts catalogue here:

https://heritage.bentleymotors.com/...r;jsessionid=F42F067B0B0839E3684650EB0BE191F2

Best way is to enter your VIN. There is excellent support for Rolls (up to 2002) and Bentley cars from Bentley

#3 ·
Good point as there were a total of 78 2002 Azure Convertables produced which is included within the total production from 1994 (only 3) through 2002....1,403 being the grand total. Comparing that with my Jaguar's specific year 74 OTS Series III...6,120 LHD & 1,872 RHD. And a few more 2 + 2's (7,300) Plus all prior yrs since inception 1961.

Your 1996 Continental R looks gorgeous. Similar color to my current Jag. You have certainly kept up with the mechanical issues. Congratulations ! Hopefully my 24,000 mile Bentley will give me a few years of enjoyment prior to major issues. I do agree as to your advise within a previous form that these cars need to be driven on a weekly basis if not more. Jag's are the same, however being away for 6 months from my primary residence it's impossible to do that. I accomplish all to do's prior to storing them for there long Winters nap.

Thx for the heads-up on the manuals etc. Greatly appreciated. I found a site "Flying B's" Bentley Spares, that appears to be a reliable parts distributor also....

So, Single-Malt, Have a great year !

Warm Regard's from La Punta, Manzanillo, Mexico
Todd

#5 ·
Yessss....Now if someone responds to my request to recommend whomever works on these beautiful Bentley's in my area I'll be all set....Regardless, I am qualified to do the minor maintenance changing fluids etc. Read one post on flushing the coolant system as not to allow any air pockets within etc.
Later.....

#6 ·
Todd, You could do basic maintenance, depending on your ability.
Once you want to satr something, ask us, we will try yo give you our experience.

Singlemalt is fully right, treat them like a plane with quality spare parts, annual maintenace, quality oil and drive them at least every 4 weeks.

If you have the original mainteance book with the car, the schedule is well detailed.

Jean

#7 ·
.... the schedule is well detailed.

Jean
The schedule is amazing really - you would never get it on a "normal" car - because the manufacturers have to keep the maintenance cost to a minimum to assist with lowest possible leasing costs over, typically, the first three years / 60,000 miles. After that, they don't care what happens to the car or what state it's in because it will be sold off by the leasing company at auction and it's out of warranty.

Rolls Royce did not have these cost issues as a consideration and the schedule seems, to me, like the sort of schedule you would draw up where cost is a completely secondary consideration!

I don't know about later cars, but it amazed me to see a schedule which doesn't end for 9 years or 105,000 miles on my own car. It is really thorough - as an example, I notice the transmission fluid is scheduled for a change every 12 months, or 15,000 miles! It's common these days with "normal" cars for there to be no transmission fluid schedules, at all, and the gearbox is seen as a consumable item - I've had a number of Audi's where they have told me this - and you just replace the whole gearbox when it fails - which they are expected to do any time after 80,000 miles. Not only is this very costly, it's very inconvenient because you get stranded with a broken gearbox.

#8 ·
I was amazed at one item in the servicing schedule: front end re-paint after so many years/miles! Can't recall where I saw it now or I'd post a picture.

I have very nearly got mine fully up to date on all the service items that people miss - rear brake hoses to change and possibly rear suspension bushes at some point and then the entire bloody car is new! :)

#9 ·
For the torque converter it is very important because you cannot drain it.
So regular oil change is the secret to have performant oil in transmission

I fully agree Singlemalt on your comment and read reglurly the maintenace book to make my maintenance excatly as requested.

Jean

#10 ·
Thx for the heads-up Jean. Will definitely keep in touch. Do you believe these extremely well built Bentley's can be used for touring purposes ? ie; Drive from my home base in Colorado to California. Like a 2,000 mile round trip over a couple of weeks +-.(I would hope so). At 74 years old I am of the mind-set to enjoy this vehicle rather than it be a garage queen.

I've felt comfortable doing 1,000 mile round trips in my air conditioned Jag with no issues. Time will tell being the adventurous man I am.

#11 ·
Amen....As I've motored round trip to Mexico from 2009/2014. That's a 4,000 mile round trip. Always in new GMC vehicles. Reason being wifey needed certain things that we couldn't obtain South of the border. Then I bought a 2002 Escalade for our final drive down to leave at our villa. The SUV was/is very well maintained. Previous owner kept up with everything. Great ride to leave here. Now flying every year for the past 3. BTW...I was behind the wheel those entire trips. Mx Hwy system is great. Tollways all the way down, so I set the cruise control at 100 MPH and away we went. Also still drive my Jag in CO at speeds up to 140 MPH. Gota love it !!!

My point is regarding to your comment "normal car". This was my 1st Escalade with 97K on the clock. Liked it enough to buy a new 2014 to leave in CO. These beasts do in fact have maintenance schedules, however unlike our Bentley's & RR's. I will follow my "B" Maintenance schedule to the book. Many Thx to all that responded, Todd

#13 ·
One of my earliest trips in my Shadow II was an almost-cross-country trip from Virginia to Utah and back. That's a lot of miles and over some very challenging terrain. On the way home we drove up the Moki Dugway (or see the YouTube Videos). Once you feel confident that you've done enough driving to have shaken out any "overlooked maintenance" issues these cars are grand for travel and the more you drive them the better they behave.

Most die not from wearing out, but lack of use.

#17 ·
I've been trying to drive mine as much as possible, the one thing I notice is a lot of wind noise coming from the right side, doesn't seem to be the windshield but maybe the door? the gasket seems in good shape and still pretty supple, but at 70 MPH boy is it noisy whistling wind...the engine is "quiet" for what it is...i mean my new cars with 6 speed or better transmissions seem to be quieter, and also the tires make some but not bad noise, I've been trying to drive it at every opportunity but definitely enjoy it more around town than on the highway...maybe some bugs to work out yet.

#18 ·
I mean fuel, that american call gas !

Jonny, seals door are known to make noise after 30 years or more.
Not easy to replace and before they were not cheap.
One simple solution to start is to stick on the old seal another rubber band all over, specially under, thin enough.
You might be amazed by the result.

Jean

#19 ·
Jonny,

The first thing I'd suggest is that you get someone to drive you around so that you can be seated on the right side to get a better idea of exactly where the sound is coming from. On SRH33576 some previous custodian appears to have replaced the seals but the way the doors close is such that the seals are not compressed quite enough. If I pull just slightly on the door closer handle at speed the noise stops.

What Jean7 has mentioned is a frequently used ploy. It is possible to use the sort of foam weatherstripping that you get for your home tucked underneath the seals on the side of the car such that it cannot be seen to make the seals stand just a tiny bit more proud than they would otherwise. It's easy enough to try and you don't even have to affix the sealing material during your trials if you can get it tucked correctly. Even if you need to affix it, it's not difficult to remove until it's been attached for a significant period of time and not horrible even then.

These cars are not quiet in the way we think of current cars as being quiet. They are about as aerodynamic as a brick and you do have wind noise that is audible at speed (and I'm not talking about leaking seals causing whistling). They also don't drive like more modern luxury cars. Someone once accurately described them as having handling (if not ride, which is much better) characteristics much like a modern SUV. What I do find interesting, though, is that the steering on the SY2 cars (I have no experience with SY1 with a steering box) is much more precise than most modern cars. The steering on SRH33576 is much more precise than the steering on my 1999 Jaguar XJ8L was.

#21 ·
. What I do find interesting, though, is that the steering on the SY2 cars (I have no experience with SY1 with a steering box) is much more precise than most modern cars. The steering on SRH33576 is much more precise than the steering on my 1999 Jaguar XJ8L was.
Steering on SY I was like steering in the US cars from the 50 ies, same steering box.
Very unprecise and sensitve to lateral wind, even on a very low mileage car as I had.
There was too many play, too easy to turn at any speed

Steering rack on SY II is offering a very performing and precise car. I was very surpised with such in difference going from SY I to SY II.

The difference is huge when driving at normal speed.

Jean

#20 ·
Brian,

Thanks for the reply, I will do exactly as you said, When I used to look at marketing material for the SSII I was always under the impression that I would be in a cocoon of silence, I liken my experience driving Gracie down the highway at 70MPH to hurtling down the road on a 3 ton lead ingot with tires from the Presidential "Beast". I always joke with my mechanic when I say "Cant you just make it ride like a Buick?" The response I usually get is a hearty laugh.... we put new tires on her, new shocks front and rear, adjusted the ball joints, greased and lubed everything possible checked every bushing and still no Buick.... hahahaha I kill myself.
On a serious note I did see advertised somewhere, cant remember where but online some company that was making an additional gasket for the exact wind noise problem...I will search it out again and if I find it I will post it. I will try the home weather strip trick in the meantime.

Jon

#22 ·
Mannnnn....That Moki Dugway was a challenge. Tells me you have a lot of confidence in a Bentley.
Reassuring to say the least. During Summers we are located on the Western Slope of The Rocky Mt. National Park "Grand Lake CO" that drives up to 12,050' above sea level over to Estes Park. Great curvy challenging paved road in the Jag during early Spring and late Fall. Summers it's bumper to bumper. When CDOT plows out the 20' snow-pack, usually on time for Memorial Day....Summer Kicks off in the resort town of GL. Only natural lake in Colorado with inhabitants cabins/cottages built along the shoreline of our 300'deep lake. bla, bla, bla, .....................Todd PS: Looking forward to driving my "B" over that road....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.