Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to everyone I’m new here and wanting to learn as much as I can before I will buy my first RR. I wanted a new era RR. 07 and up with my 100k budget. Which one should I consider looking? Pls help me. Thank you. Or it’s not even possible with my budget . I will do some maintenance and hoping to have around 4-5 k annual budget . Lesser is better 🤪

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
There is very little one can do to service a modern RR on their own, including oil changes. The factory is closely tied into the service protocol with their computer network. The factory wants to make sure RR parts are used.
You will be sadly disappointed in short time as to how frustrating ownership will be when something fails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. That being said should I get a used Bentley Flying Spur with my 100k budget and 4-5 annual maintenance. I intend to drive this car at least 5 k a year if not more to enjoy it . For sure it won’t be a garage queen. Not my DD though. Any advice is very useful to me . Thank you guys.

·
Administrator
510 Posts
Well, with a Flying Spur you could flip your budgets around and likely be quite happy.
Spend $40k on buying the car, and set aside the $60k for maintenance (and the $4-5k/year) over the term of ownership.

Initially that might sound ridiculous to some people. What's really ridiculous in my mind is spending $300,000 on a car with warranty but watching $260,000 disappear in depreciation.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
And my two cents applies generally: You can't know what car you should even consider without driving it first.

One of the great things about RR and Bentley both is that you very seldom have any single car that multiple people are mad to get their hands on at exactly the same time unless that car happens to be on the auction block (and, often, not even then).

You can take your time both looking for the exact make/model that suits your preferences then taking even more time to find an example that meets whatever "minimum standards" you have within your price range, which is quite liberal.

For myself, personally, the most recent models I'd consider are the Seraph and Arnage. And this isn't because I'm one of those who considers the newer cars "not a real RR/Bentley" but because they are an absolute nightmare for anyone who wants to be a DIY maintainer and, since you must use dealerships or specialty shops that have the equipment for pretty much all maintenance, they're money pits. And that's ignoring the cost of tires for some of these newer cars, which cost as much for a set as many cars cost.

Take your time, drive any and all models that hold an interest for you, then once you've settled on one or a few, start asking specific questions here and elsewhere regarding that subset.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Read up on PAX run flat tires/wheels on Phantoms and you will get an idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys are an absolute help here especially for an aspiring RR/ Bentley owner to be like myself . I leave here in Houston , Texas and hopefully I can find some locally. Thanks again and God Bless!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
If your intent is to own one for the next few years, I would suggest joining the RROC and your local chapter and let it be known that you are looking for a car.
I would take my time and learn the pitfalls, check with your insurance agent, talk to a local dealer (maybe someone wants to trade one in?) , etc.
The right one that checks your boxes will come along, resist the impulsive buy, these are not rare cars.. Ask about continued scheduled service and have them prove it.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
You need first to choose your car. 4 doors, 2 doors, convertible. With your budget you could do each one.
Maintaining those cars is not easy because of the weight.
Depending on your capacities, you could do a minimum, but as said above, the youger they are, the less you will be able to do.
Start by visiting some cars for sale and if possible drive it to decide which one you want.
With your budget, you could have a wonderfull car.
History is important for me, to know how the car was maintained , who drove it and how.
Try to find a car in original superb conditions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m leaning on sedan . Which year should everyone would consider more reliable? It could be RR or Bentleys. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
OK, lets keep your wide budget aside, which generation are you interested in ?

The generation from 1980 and later ( Silver Spirit, Bentley Eight....) or generation from 1998 ( Arnage...)

Personnally, I woud stop at the Arnage . After it is really another era, supersophisticated, super expensive to maintain.

Arnage has several model, the last ones are the most interesting and powerfull. Modern car.

I make an exception for the wide 2 doors Brookland (2008), based on the Azur, which is the last high quality Bentley 2 doors , following the Contiental R. Very sophiscated car, difficult to maintain yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I spent almost a year looking for the exact car I wanted. I drove the Mulsanne, Phantom and Ghost. I knew I wanted a particular color scheme for the interior and a particular wood. Once I found an example, I had two prepurchase inspections done, negotiated the price accordingly and have been delighted. For me, the Phantom won hands down in terms of giving me the driving experience I wanted but that will vary depending on your personal preference. The only thing that is simple enough for this owner to do was change the wiper blades and the bonnet struts. Even with the inspections, after about 1,500 miles, one of the high pressure fuel pumps began to fail which resulted in a $4,400 repair bill (rebuilt them both). Also, make certain you have access to an especially good independent mechanic. I live in Dallas but if I were at my place in the Ozarks, I would never consider such a car. Enjoy the hunt!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good day to everyone I’m new here and wanting to learn as much as I can before I will buy my first RR. I wanted a new era RR. 07 and up with my 100k budget. Which one should I consider looking? Pls help me. Thank you. Or it’s not even possible with my budget . I will do some maintenance and hoping to have around 4-5 k annual budget . Lesser is better 🤪
I would echo what is being said about education. Join as many groups and read, ask questions and absolutely join the RROC since that is a great place to learn AND possibly find a car being sold
By a member which would more likely have good maintenance records and provenance. Look at many in person. Sit in them, drive them. This will tell you a lot.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Hi Alex, You moved, right? ..and had the Phantom section wrapped if I recall, if this is the car, it is beautiful and lends naturally to a smart two tone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Alex, You moved, right? ..and had the Phantom section wrapped if I recall, if this is the car, it is beautiful and lends naturally to a smart two tone.
Howdy! I’m up in Allen. Yes that is the wrap I had done. Part of the reason I selected Titanium as the exterior color. I can change the partial wrap to any number of great deep metallic colors and keep the car for many years without ever tiring of it. Thank you! I think it looks great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts