Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fortunate enough to have had enough success in business to be able to indulge my passion for cars.

As an addition to the fleet, I have been very close to buying a Phantom drop head for about 9 months but when I tell friends and family, the reactions are completely mixed. Most say go for it. Some think that it gives the wrong impression and is a car hated by a lot of people. Amongst others, I currently have a Murcielago, which I get a lot of good feedback about, but the doubters around me say the Roller is very different in people's perceptions and would generate disdain in others.

I do not come from money and so my family have a hard time getting their head round it.

I recently visited the factory at Goodwood (a fantastic experience and one I can recommend to anyone, regardless of whether you plan on buying a Rolls Royce or not; it's great to see so many people taking pride in producing something of such luxury, especially in Britain.). Whilst I was there, I met a Phantom owner, who like me has owned lots of great cars with not problems but in his Phantom he said that he has had random people call him a wker for no reason and had cigarettes put out on the bonnet!!

Obviously this horrified me and I wondered whether anyone here either owns one and could share their experience or has any input they would care to share even if they don't own one.

I'm not normally bothered with what other people think but this is the first car that has me divided.

I love the car and my heart says buy it and enjoy it and don't worry but I would be grateful for some input before taking the plunge.
cheers
kwaja

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are a lot of people out of work, at least here in the States. Parading around in a 400K car isn't going to win you a ton of affection in this economic climate.

Take a page from the folks well-off during the Great Depression - order it in black. Seems to buy you a few "discreet" points with us commoners.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Agree about being discreet. This is why i love the Bentley GT in black. It looks almost like the Chrysler and does not really attract too much attention. In these economic times, driving an exotic or high profile car would not be my choice unless your location makes it a more 'normal' car.

As for Britain and wankers, then DO NOT get the car. ANY $$$$$$ car imho. Have seen people put out cigarettes, spit on, throw staining liquids, etc at such cars from ferrari to RR, etc. The whole Class thing is deeply rooted in England and makes for some bad experiences. Even the Top Gear guy had many problems when he would park his Ford GT, Ferrari, etc in Britain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts