Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my newly purchased SII earlier today.

First Impressions.

Well I hadn't driven it prior to sploshing out the dough and I thought I had a major problem. The harder I pushed the throttle the slower it went until finally i thought I'll make this thing go and pushed my foot down hard and the car stood on its nose.

The brake and throttle are so close together with my big boots that I was pushing both.

Still, big relief really.

Car is silky smooth with no rattles and everything appears to work....just a bit of wheel balancing required although I couldn't work out whether on over-run it seems to transmit a bit of a shudder. Could be my imagination.....just wheel balance.

Another issue is down to me but when ever I go to pull out into a faster lane on the motorway I end up trying to use the gear selector instead of the indicator stalk and shoving it down into low.

Dont know whether pushing the selector up would result in it going into reverse or not?....Bit of a worry.

I'll post up picks when I pick it up from the tyre shop.

This car has masses and masses of invoices with it.....quite worrying really.

Oh and where can I buy new overmats???

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Hello & congrats on your "new" baby!

Since you are in the UK the best place I know of to get replacement lambswool overlays is The Easirider Company. The gentleman who represents their products here in the U.S. has received nothing but high praise on the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club (US) forums as far as quality and fit to specific RR/Bentley model go.

There are very few wheels from the SY series cars that are actually true, but they can often be balanced. That being said, the Detroit joints just outside the rear differential at the end of the half-shafts are known to wear unevenly and transmit vibrations usually at speeds above 60 MPH that eventually "settle out" as speed increases. If they've never been switched side-to-side you can do this once and get new wear surfaces that will, in several decades, do the same thing. You can also get the later Lobro joints that were used on the SZ (Spirit/Spur) series cars and install those in place of the older Detroit joints.

If your car has "masses and masses" of receipts with it (better known as a thorough maintenance history) you should count yourself very, very, very lucky. These cars, while not high maintenance once properly sorted out, are very high maintenance when compared to most contemporary cars whether luxury or otherwise. Knowing what's been replaced when can prove very helpful when you have to make diagnostic decisions; it lets you eliminate some things and look far more closely at others. It would be well worth your while to go through those receipts, arrange them in reverse chronological order, then review them for what's been done when, making a condensed list of same.

Consider joining the Rolls-Royce Enthusiasts' Club (UK) and/or the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club (US) and be sure to check out the RROC-Australia Post-War Technical Library, particularly the Tee-One Topics Archive and the document library for the SY (Shadow & Derivatives) series motorcars.

Also, it never hurts to add your chassis number (which, I presume will be SRH3XXXX) and the model year of your car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply....some useful info there.

Wheels balanced and all seems OK.

I have just about every warning light on the dash dancing around today.....all was well yesterday but it feels like a scene from Saturday Night Fever today.

My next job is indeed to sort all the invoices out.

I've an idea that this well maintained car is going to cost me dearly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts