Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is everybody getting their fluids and parts. I am fixing up a silver cloud III. I am doing every little bit because the car has 150k and the history is unknown. I cant seem to find any of the stuff I need, I found http://www.britishcarpartsco.com/rolls_royce.htm which seems to be helpful, but i am not sure what stuff I can and cant get from there. Really the only other things I have found is the ngk equivilant of the champion rn8 spark plug and su carb oil. I am afraid to buy generic oil, grease, filter and lubricant because the handbook is very specific about what fluids and parts should be used. Where do I find the parts and fluids? I am in the greater seattle area

P.S. any maintenance that is not in the handbook that i should do?

·
Registered
79 Posts
The first thing you should do is calm down.
Second, look below at the thread under Pre 1965, titled 'Where to find RR parts suppliers - - - (March 17).
Third, modern lubricants are quite adequate, although you might want to use a higher ZDDP motor oil. Take it from a guy who has run cars with SU carbs since 1954, there is realy no specific SU carb oil.
Good Luck,
Leho

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so most normal fluids are fine. thats great news! how about the rear differential oil, which states that it is important that castrol Hi-press s/c oil be used whenever possible, and only use other fluids in an emergancy. I found that post about parts suppliers and the links were very helpful

·
Registered
79 Posts
Since you have a hypoid differential you need an Extreme Pressure gear oil. Such as SAE 80W90 EP Gear Oil GL-5.
Leho

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
cmac2992,

Leho has given you good and accurate advice (though I, myself, believe that the whole ZDDP thing is grossly overblown.)

Virtually all lubricants produced today meet or exceed the specs that were "the latest and greatest" when your car was produced.

If you have not done so I would encourage you to look into joining the Rolls-Royce Owners' Club and the Silver Cloud and Bentley 'S' Society within the club. The price of annual membership more than pays for itself in terms of access to others who have done whatever you're trying to do and willing and able to help you do it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Cmac
Brian is quite correct in suggesting that you join the RROC. Then you can form your own conclusions regarding ZDDP, after reading the lengthy discussion on the RROC fourm. In the meantime use only OAT (Organic Additive Technology) antifreeze. Again read the antifreeze postings on the forum and decide for yourself.
Leho

1 - 7 of 7 Posts