Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found the one I wanted and got it delivered. Actually same color and interior as the first one I looked at way back when and left there.
86 Spirit with @28,000 miles on the clock/
Recent work (with in 60 days) was a new steering rack and the engine oil pan dropped cleaned and resealed with new oil and filter. Battery new in Feb of this year.
Negotiated to have all new accumulators put on, new tires all around (old ones were 2002), hyd system bled, all windows cleaned, lubed and adjusted to work fine, cruise control repaired, interior lights fixed to work, both front seat gear boxes replaced and working.
Car has no leaks anywhere I can find. Drives very nice, Interior like new. A couple very small cracks in the dash finish but hard to see.
Plan on changing the rear end oil, tranny oil an filter and the engine coolant as I fear they are all original equipment.
Front brake pads down to 5 mm so they will be changed out real soon. Rears are in good shape.
EVERYTHING works as it should
OBTW, the A/C system was changed to 134 with a new compressor and hoses etc recently also. They look new and it blows cold air.
First trip tomorrow but only 20 miles :)
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
585 Posts
Sounds like you got a nice car to enjoy, it's great you had all that work done as well. :)
It would have been nice if Samosali would have come across something of the same profile.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Plan on changing the rear end oil, tranny oil an filter and the engine coolant as I fear they are all original equipment.
First, congrats and enjoy the car! (Also, enjoy washing it, as you've chosen black, which needs constant tending to in order to look clean. I've had my one black car - beautiful - but never again!).

With regard to the final drive unit and changing the oil, make absolutely certain that you can remove the fill plug before you even think of removing the drain plug. Also have your crush washers for each handy.

With regard to engine coolant, do not feel restricted to old-style IAT "green" (or that's what it commonly was) formulation. Contrary to a lot of unfounded speculation, I know a very great many people now using extended-life coolant formulations in our cars. Provided they're not DexCool formulations, you should be fine. I personally use Peak Global Lifetime.

With regard to the transmission fluid, and I know there will be blowback and strong disagreement, leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Finally found the one I wanted and got it delivered. Actually same color and interior as the first one I looked at way back when and left there.
86 Spirit with @28,000 miles on the clock/
Recent work (with in 60 days) was a new steering rack and the engine oil pan dropped cleaned and resealed with new oil and filter. Battery new in Feb of this year.
Negotiated to have all new accumulators put on, new tires all around (old ones were 2002), hyd system bled, all windows cleaned, lubed and adjusted to work fine, cruise control repaired, interior lights fixed to work, both front seat gear boxes replaced and working.
Car has no leaks anywhere I can find. Drives very nice, Interior like new. A couple very small cracks in the dash finish but hard to see.
Front brake pads down to 5 mm so they will be changed out real soon. Rears are in good shape.
EVERYTHING works as it should
OBTW, the A/C system was changed to 134 with a new compressor and hoses etc recently also. They look new and it blows cold air.
First trip tomorrow but only 20 miles :) View attachment 30354
That is absolutely gorgeous….first class my friend. I will have something similar one day. Thank you for posting such a classy piece of machinery.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
New custodian To Do List:
1. Read your owner's manual. If you do not have one, buy one off eBay.
2. Become familiar with the proper removal of your wheel covers
3. Know lug nut CCW vs CW and most important..nut torque
4. IMPORTANT know where the lift pads are placed safely under the car. Workshop manual under "Suspension"

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes black will/can be a pain
Very good thought on the upper pumpkin plug and I have found the special tool on line to help with removal,
Peak Global Hmm I'll look into that
Tranny fluid YA I have lots of experience with trannys including GM 350 and 400s, Lots of back and forth on how much to drain, to do it or not, etc, I'm thinking 35 year old oil may be not so good, I feel most issues from a complete drain come from many 1,000s of miles without service and dirt builds up inside the tranny and then new oil comes in and loosens all that junk up to now circulate. With so few miles and such old oil I may just drain the pan and the converter (if its one with a plug, it might be), and see what that oil looks and smells like.
I have the original books with the car Lots of good reading in them
Yes wheel covers not your every day wheel covers
45-50 ft/lbs and left is left IIRC I know I will find them too tight when I go look next week.
Looked at the lift pads when on the rack for PPI and of course found one folded over On the "TO Do" list
Thanks for all the nice comments It is a nice car They can be found.
In my garage now for over a week and not a drip on the floor with 60 miles driven by me this week

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats on your purchase Cliff, think you got it from that dealer in Van Nuys? If so would of had them do the brakes as well.50% plus per Calif. FTC.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Didn't know about the CA law but in reality they are super simple to change out which I will do next week (providing the discs are good which I think they are
Thanks for nice comments Really like driving it, it may turn out to be an everyday car.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
it may turn out to be an everyday car.
Would that more of them were actually used as such. And the SZs and later (even the SYs, but with more "care and feeding") can be perfectly functional daily drivers. That is if you are able to ignore the fuel cost that goes with doing so.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If you ask the price of the gas- you can't afford the car!
The bane of all older Rolls Royce cars is differed maintenance
Differed maintenance is only - Too much car and not enough pocketbook
As Dirty Harry said a long time ago- "A man's got to know his limitations!" :)

Went to a car show yesterday just to look and for fun
Wound up getting a trophy for "Best of Show- All Original Car"
Didn't even know I was being judged!
Guess I found a good one

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
To some people the money at this level is immaterial
I've known a few of them

1 - 17 of 17 Posts