Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I’m wrapping up a multiyear restoration of my 77 Shadow II. During this time, the battery ran down multiple times, and we’ve charged it and jumped the car and done all kinds of things we probably should not have done moving the car around my shop.

Now that the car is basically finished and roadworthy, I’ve noticed that the battery was running down over the course of a night.

Obviously, this is an issue I’ve been trying to resolve as quickly as possible. The first thing I did was pull all of the fuses which made no difference. I’m actually measuring 12 V on the frame of the car which is pretty scary.

We did install a new starter so that was my first thought but removing the starter and the alternator from the circuit still does not resolve the issue.

if I apply 12 V directly to the main feed going to the shunt with all fuses disconnected I get the draw. I’m wondering if my ammeter shunt has blown.

has anyone experienced anything like this?

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited by Moderator)
I actually don’t know what’s causing the draw. I have almost 7 years of experience working on these cars and this is an unusual situation. And yes, if I take a voltage reading on the negative side of my car, I’m getting 12 V, it’s like the chassis of the car has been electrified. I also have a Mercedes-Benz factor train tech that works for me in my shop with 30 years of experience and he has stumped on this as well. The whole point of these forms is to be helpful. I’m not some yahoo that’s never had a Rolls-Royce I own four of them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts