Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I work at Bentley Motors and, along with two colleagues, we are putting together a book of amusing stories, strange events, legendary characters and anything else that raises a smile connected with life at the Pyms Lane factory. So if you have a story about the Rolls-Royce (now Bentley) factory, maybe from a firend, if you have worked or just visited the Crewe site, then please drop us an email.

Bletch, Brass & Banter will be published by MPire Books in October 2010.

Best wishes...
Jules
[email protected]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mpire Builder

Eyup matey, I'll catch up with you at work at tell you a few stories from the past that'll have you smiling and cringing at the time. Colin.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Stories from the past

Ok here goes. just the one.
The year was about 1976, we were developing the series 2 Shadow and along with it the USA fuel tank which moved behind the rear seat, this was for rear impact legislation. We had a car mocked up, that's posh for a lash up. The rear seats were removed from one of the Directors cars It was a Maroon Shadow. The seat area was replaced with a 'tank' no, not another Rolls Royce, the Germans hadn't taken it yet.(AKA new Phantom). The tank was placed on the rear cushion pan with flexible fuel pipes installed, quite ingenious in it's own way.
One of the Mechanical Engineers, not me, took the car out for a few trials, one of them was an abuse and failure trial. The Engineer removed the gadget which prevents the car being put into reverse gear whilst in the forward motion. So, there he was travelling at a mere 20miles an hour, whacks it into reverse and hey presto, he he's a monotov cocktail waiting for a light.
The tank flew off the rear seat whacked him on the bonce and then emptied its contents all over the damn car. he was not a popular bunny.

One more whilst on a roll(er).
When i was serving my apprenticeship, there was a foreman who didn't stand for any nonsense at all, I was scared to death of him as a lad, bare in mind I was only 14 yrs old when I started. Anyhow, one day I was wandering around looking for a staple gun to do some work, without luck. I approached the foreman and innocently asked, Do you have any guns? simple question, to which I recieved the reply, What do you think my name is, F***in Wyatt Earp. Can you imagine my face, I just looked at him and said, who is he. then he told me to **** off.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Stories from the past

Don't know what happened there, but for those in the guess the missing word competition. It was cocktail

1 - 8 of 8 Posts