Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I'm getting ready for some paint work on the 79 SSII but I can get the bottom trim off. Both ends have some kind of clip that I'm afraid of breaking off. Any ideas how
to get this off without damaging it?

Thnx in advance,

Phillip

Attachments

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
That's the rocker panel stainless steel trim. Remove the lower inner fender cover access plate at the front wheel well . Blow or vacuum while you have it open since it collects and stays moist if that has an opportunity. Next, use a BA2 socket 1/4 drive and remove the small nut on the "shoe". The shoe slides into the end of the trim. It will usually snap off, so pre-soak and see what happens. Next, there are 10 male plastic pins that are equally spaced along the long trim so use a plastic or dull scraper and wedge accordingly from below the trim. and pry off. Once you get to the rear section, pull foward on the trim. It releases from a riveted clip on the body.
Use silicon to plug the rocker female sockets before painting......you will thank me later.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
The front fender and door waistline trim ( flashed chrome over stainless) is attached in a similar fashion, with a "shoe" in the leading edge followed by plastic male pins. The door has an acorn nut on the trailing edge, the rear fender has the stud within the trunk cavity and pins in the middle again. Many of your pins will break along the way. Hint, use a scraper to slide the pins accurately over the sockets upon installation. I dab grease on the stud items to prevent corrosion going forward.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
The front shoe does get crusty and when the stud breaks it releases from the body. I had custom stainless shoes made for one of the cars. The middle retainers are plastic with plastic sockets so no rusting there. You do not want to distort the trim. It won't lay flat and tend to pop on a few of the middle clips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts