Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Warranty

You know something... what I hate the most... more than anything... is how people... especially businesses... say they aren't in it for the money... and that what they are selling in infallible.

I guarantee none of those cars come with a warranty, and at those prices... they should! At least on electrical, major engine metal, transmission, and powertrain. Some of those cars are more $$$ than a new car. Anyone who is 100% confident in the mechanical perfection of a 30 year old car or otherwise, should offer a warranty.
Dear readers,

ALL and EVERYONE of our cars come with a warranty. As you say, we truly must stand behind our claims and promises.

Park-Ward Motors is dedicated to the long-term preservation of these great cars as part of our business practice. Yes, we make money out of what we do, but we do so because of our commitment to excellence. We have a 20,000 sqft facility with trained Rolls-Royce craftsmen and artisans dedicated solely to Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars. We handle all aspects from mechanical, electrical, operational features, body & paint, interiors (wood refinishing, leather connolising), fabrics, carpets and all aspects of upholstery. We pride ourself on any bespoke work. Everything is done in-house so we are truly a "1-stop-shop".

When we have a car for sale, each and everyone goes thru our workshop to ensure whatever is needed is done. Unlike a main-stream dealer, we don't buy a car for "x", budget "y" to spend on her and sell for "z" to make a profit on each car. Instead, we operate over the average of all our cars. Meaning, over the course of selling cars in a year, we make a profit from selling very fine cars built on our reputation of doing so. With this approach, we are NOT confined to a budget for a particular car which can obviously lead to a restorer cutting corners, but we simply do whatever is needed. Some cars will need more work than others and on a case-by-case basis, some cars will make money, some will not. But overall as a business, we succeed. It is THIS formula, that has earned us the reputation of being the best and why we offer the best of cars.

What do we do? Every single car goes thru our workshop and my engineers are well aware of what needs to be done. They don't ask "should we do this", they simply do it. To prepare a list here of everything we do, would take forever but to give you an idea on something like Hydraulics and brakes, we literally go thru everything and fix and anything that is not right. This process also includes a great deal of "preventative maintenance". For example, if 1 flexible rubber hose looks suspicious, we don't just change that 1 hose but ALL the hydraulic hoses. If none of them are leaking and everything is working fine but the hoses are close to 10 years old or greater, we replace them all. If you apply this way of thinking to all aspects of these cars, this is what we do.

There is no question our cars cost more than anyone else's, but what you are getting is far in excess of a "car" + "some repairs". You get a true "turn-key" car with everything operating as it should from major mechanical items down to the most insignificant little light-bulb in the dash.

No one in the Rolls-Royce world, including many private owners, take this approach to their cars and this is why, without question, you buy only the best from us. And, yes, you get a warranty.

Rodd Sala
Owner & Founder
Park-Ward Motors
www.park-ward.com

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have 2 points to make regarding this rather silly thread.

#1. Rodd Sala is a Class guy.

I have dealt with him. Not only that, he was very helpful before I ever bought anything from him. With his cars, you get a good car, so you don't have to talk about how bad your car is, and how terrible Rolls Royce cars are, and use the word Hate more times than I have ever seen anyone use it.

Do you want to get a neglected junk car for nothing but headaches, for $5k and then spend $40k on mechanical repairs, just to make it still unreliable, then another $20k for the interior and another $20k for the exterior? And $300 a year for AAA towing service? That is $85,300. And no matter what you do the car will never be the way it should be. OR... You could just go to Rodd, and give him $40k for a beautiful car which has had the care that it requires over the last 50 years. A car that will serve you. (and they were designed to serve us, not for us to serve them). Why does nobody understand this? They judge all british cars or all RR cars by the performance of the most neglected wrecks that only Mr. Kumar or Mr. Manos would want.

#2. Rolls Royce cars are VERY reliable.

In order for this to be the case, they must be taken care of properly which is not expensive at all, provided the care begins is when the car is brand new, and continued without interruption.

The owners manual makes it very clear on the first page, even before the table of contents! : The car is very finely engineered, and complicated and (like an aeroplane or a locomotive), it can ONLY be expected to perform properly IF it is cared for.

If you find a car which has not had the proper care or has had an interruption in the schedule of care, DON'T BUY IT! There are plenty of cars which have been cared for!!! THIS IS NOT A CHEVY OR FORD. THEY MUST HAVE PROPER CARE OR THEY WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY! They are made with thousands more parts, and much finer tolerances, parts which simply don't function with rust and filth, and corrosion, mould and neglect. A 20 minute job on a Ford can be a 20 hour job on a Shadow. BUT... the job will not be necessary at all if the car was cared for according to the maintenance schedule.

Anyone can do this upkeep, no special mechanic necessary. Just follow the schedule in the owners manual. They are easier to care for than regular cars. Most important are complete flush of brake fluid and coolant every 2 years. Doing this cost $250 a year. Repairing the damage from not doing it for 50 years costs $50,000.

I have had 2 RR cars. One car was neglected. It never drove me on a complete journey without breaking. The second one, I got with complete maintenance records all the way back to new. It has been the most reliable car I have ever had (including 4 brand new german cars). The last 4 years has been my only car, and it has lived outside every day of those 4 years. It starts easily and quickly early in the morning, even when it is -20 degrees Fahrenheit. It sits all day long in traffic in 100 degree summer heat, with ice cold air conditioning, (the best of any car I have ever had). I use it all year round as my only form of transportation. It goes in 12" snow storms with unplowed roads, when the only other vehicles in sight are the marooned power company trucks who were attempting to get to broken power lines from the blizzard. It has never failed to proceed. It has never broken. Never in 50 years. (I have the records and I bought it from the original owner). All that has ever been done is scheduled maintenance and replacement of hoses and belts before they broke (even those are scheduled maintenance 8yrs or 80k miles). The only electrical failure was a rear window motor (and they provide a hand crank so you can still operate the window, and you don't have to leave your car unsecured). And, THAT electrical failure was only because a mouse ate the insulation of the wire and it shorted out.

I have had all sorts of American cars. I don't use them for transportation anymore. But, and you can not get away from this, they are disposable junk compared to a RR. They were admittedly designed to last 3 years and be replaced. The GM executives have stated as much. On an american car, to get an exhaust manifold bolt loose to repair it you need a torch, and then usually a drill and a machine shop for when it breaks. On my Rolls Royce, even to remove the exhaust manifold bolts, I was able use nothing but the 1/2" Britool spanner from the small tools in the trunk (which fit tighter than the snap on wrench I had), and once I loosened each bolt 1/8 turn, I used my fingers to unscrew them the rest of the way. ! I was astonished and couldn't believe what I was doing, it was so easy. This is how it is with proper engineering and good materials and good machining. Several american cars, to do the same job required the cylinder heads to be removed so the machine shop could get the broken bolts out and drill and tap for new ones. This is just one example. As I was unscrewing these bolts so easily after 45 years on the car, it was right then that I decided I was never going to use an american car again. Why should I put up with such poorly made garbage. best of all, a beautiful rare Rolls Royce, even from Rodd Sala, can be bought for less than half the price of a similar year Chevrolet of the same rarity. The fact that Camaro's are worth more than Corniche never cease to amaze and delight me.

I know this thread is old but I have not looked on this forum for 3 years. I had to defend the car and Mr Sala. Even though I can not imagine anyone could have taken the plaintiff seriously.

Cheers. Sorry for the excessive length. I suppose maybe 4 people on earth will read it.

Reactions: Captain Chet

·
Registered
80 Posts
I only know of two dealers from which I would buy a car without looking at it and without checking it out. Rodd Sala of Park Ward, and Richard Gorman of Vantage, in Miami. If I spoke with either of these guys on the phone and they had the car I wanted, I would send the money. (such as a black 50,000 series corniche coupe without vinyl top)

Not only that, I would send my own car to either of them for work without worrying, and without inspecting the work. I plan to send my 69 to Rodd for full bare metal respray next year and his shop is 1500 miles away. I am just going to send it on a truck. When it is done I will have him send it back.

Either one of these dealers has a stock of cars which look and drive the same as they did when new. I have never seen another dealer with a whole stock of cars such as these. Sometimes a dealer gets one.

These are the only two dealers I know that do give written mechanical warranties with the cars.

The folks who patronize these dealers value their own time and their own money. They want something they can enjoy, which will not let them down, cost them more time, and more money. Something that, because of its superior quality, (and the inherent rareness of such quality) will be easy to sell when the time comes, and who's quality will last a long time in case he doesn't want to sell.

The funny thing is, that if you really had a strict budget, the only dealer of which I am aware, from whom you could AFFORD to buy ANY Rolls Royce or Bentley car is a dealer of the calibre of these two.

And that is the beauty and the reason these dealers do so well. They sell the cheapest Rolls Royces of all. If you buy the right one at the right time, they cost virtually nothing to own. The money you put in is equity in a good car. Not a college fund for a mechanic's children.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I luv your posts. Like you I have always admired the 2 dealers/shops mentioned. Their reputations precede them and their work is thorough and a standard by which others should follow. I cringe when I read about neglected cars and cringe even further when half-assed methods are used with substitute parts. I have owned SY based cars for 30 yrs and invested heavily in my 4000 sq ft shop to maintain my cars. It is my Zen garden of sorts complete with a massive sound system and no doubt provides a space to get away from it all.
Too bad we're not neighbors.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Spiritofx,

Thank you for taking time to write all this.
Yes, quality maintenance and regularity is one of the secret to enjoy those cars which were concieved and built by men, not by computers or robots...
Maintenance must be bsaed on time and not on use / mileage as most of them spend part of the time not being driven.
Then need to be driven at least once every 6 weeks on the road, 12 months per year.

I cannot help you for your issue, but it's a pleasure to read your engagement and enthusiasm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Park Ward Motors is experienced in all facets of repair and maintenance. Specifically those idiosyncratic issues and nuances that make us both love and hate these British classics. Hydraulic and brake system repairs, electrical gremlins and leather and wood restoration to RR workshop standards are just some of our specialties.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I phoned Park-Ward last week to tell them about a car that should be for sale by an acquaintance. Rodd himself answered the phone! You really can't get much more direct than that!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2 points to make regarding this rather silly thread.

#1. Rodd Sala is a Class guy.

I have dealt with him. Not only that, he was very helpful before I ever bought anything from him. With his cars, you get a good car, so you don't have to talk about how bad your car is, and how terrible Rolls Royce cars are, and use the word Hate more times than I have ever seen anyone use it.

Do you want to get a neglected junk car for nothing but headaches, for $5k and then spend $40k on mechanical repairs, just to make it still unreliable, then another $20k for the interior and another $20k for the exterior? And $300 a year for AAA towing service? That is $85,300. And no matter what you do the car will never be the way it should be. OR... You could just go to Rodd, and give him $40k for a beautiful car which has had the care that it requires over the last 50 years. A car that will serve you. (and they were designed to serve us, not for us to serve them). Why does nobody understand this? They judge all british cars or all RR cars by the performance of the most neglected wrecks that only Mr. Kumar or Mr. Manos would want.

#2. Rolls Royce cars are VERY reliable.

In order for this to be the case, they must be taken care of properly which is not expensive at all, provided the care begins is when the car is brand new, and continued without interruption.

The owners manual makes it very clear on the first page, even before the table of contents! : The car is very finely engineered, and complicated and (like an aeroplane or a locomotive), it can ONLY be expected to perform properly IF it is cared for.

If you find a car which has not had the proper care or has had an interruption in the schedule of care, DON'T BUY IT! There are plenty of cars which have been cared for!!! THIS IS NOT A CHEVY OR FORD. THEY MUST HAVE PROPER CARE OR THEY WILL NOT WORK PROPERLY! They are made with thousands more parts, and much finer tolerances, parts which simply don't function with rust and filth, and corrosion, mould and neglect. A 20 minute job on a Ford can be a 20 hour job on a Shadow. BUT... the job will not be necessary at all if the car was cared for according to the maintenance schedule.

Anyone can do this upkeep, no special mechanic necessary. Just follow the schedule in the owners manual. They are easier to care for than regular cars. Most important are complete flush of brake fluid and coolant every 2 years. Doing this cost $250 a year. Repairing the damage from not doing it for 50 years costs $50,000.

I have had 2 RR cars. One car was neglected. It never drove me on a complete journey without breaking. The second one, I got with complete maintenance records all the way back to new. It has been the most reliable car I have ever had (including 4 brand new german cars). The last 4 years has been my only car, and it has lived outside every day of those 4 years. It starts easily and quickly early in the morning, even when it is -20 degrees Fahrenheit. It sits all day long in traffic in 100 degree summer heat, with ice cold air conditioning, (the best of any car I have ever had). I use it all year round as my only form of transportation. It goes in 12" snow storms with unplowed roads, when the only other vehicles in sight are the marooned power company trucks who were attempting to get to broken power lines from the blizzard. It has never failed to proceed. It has never broken. Never in 50 years. (I have the records and I bought it from the original owner). All that has ever been done is scheduled maintenance and replacement of hoses and belts before they broke (even those are scheduled maintenance 8yrs or 80k miles). The only electrical failure was a rear window motor (and they provide a hand crank so you can still operate the window, and you don't have to leave your car unsecured). And, THAT electrical failure was only because a mouse ate the insulation of the wire and it shorted out.

I have had all sorts of American cars. I don't use them for transportation anymore. But, and you can not get away from this, they are disposable junk compared to a RR. They were admittedly designed to last 3 years and be replaced. The GM executives have stated as much. On an american car, to get an exhaust manifold bolt loose to repair it you need a torch, and then usually a drill and a machine shop for when it breaks. On my Rolls Royce, even to remove the exhaust manifold bolts, I was able use nothing but the 1/2" Britool spanner from the small tools in the trunk (which fit tighter than the snap on wrench I had), and once I loosened each bolt 1/8 turn, I used my fingers to unscrew them the rest of the way. ! I was astonished and couldn't believe what I was doing, it was so easy. This is how it is with proper engineering and good materials and good machining. Several american cars, to do the same job required the cylinder heads to be removed so the machine shop could get the broken bolts out and drill and tap for new ones. This is just one example. As I was unscrewing these bolts so easily after 45 years on the car, it was right then that I decided I was never going to use an american car again. Why should I put up with such poorly made garbage. best of all, a beautiful rare Rolls Royce, even from Rodd Sala, can be bought for less than half the price of a similar year Chevrolet of the same rarity. The fact that Camaro's are worth more than Corniche never cease to amaze and delight me.

I know this thread is old but I have not looked on this forum for 3 years. I had to defend the car and Mr Sala. Even though I can not imagine anyone could have taken the plaintiff seriously.

Cheers. Sorry for the excessive length. I suppose maybe 4 people on earth will read it.
I read it; April 2021! Does that make 5?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts