Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Selling the 1970 engine (plate on firewall says 410ci), transmission (a GM TH400) with remote servo shifter, and all engine accessories still mounted. The subframe and suspension are not for sale. I drove the car with this engine before removing it myself. Same engine and 30k (130k) miles on the odometer as when it sold at Barret-Jackson. The previous mechanic said 3 cylinders were low on compression. I don't know how low. It ran ok when I drove it a few miles before replacing it. I didn't drive it hard. It's been stored inside since removal. I'm hoping someone else sees value in its history and would enjoy it. The engine wiring harness was snipped-off where it's bundle exited to the passenger side fender. While it's a bit oily, it has not dripped while being stored. Parts not pictured are also available: Differential+Cross member, half shafts, prop-shaft(LWB), steering parts, wheel hubs, brakes(were dragging), wheels with tires (5). AC unit from the trunk, Radiator, reservoirs, spare tire support, stock front upper coil spring mounts, etc. Please ask if interested in other parts.

At the time of this posting, you can view the engine & transmission eBay ad here: Johnny Cash's Rolls-Royce Engine, Trans & accessories | eBay

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I watched the video and was impressed. I'm interested in how the team addressed the RR brake hydraulics. Did you source a small electric pump, or 2, to build pressure? You may be familiar with the engine- camshaft-driven rod-actuated hydraulic pumps with the original design, this is an interesting hurdle with engine swaps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That seemed challenging to overcome at first. Not only would an equivalent electric pump be required and draw energy while operating, but the complex hydraulic leveling valves and brakes would all have to be rebuilt. Our project only had rear leveling, so we would still have the problem of adjusting the front height after removing the engine weight. We solved this in an entirely different way.

Before conversion to electric, the axle weight measured roughly 53% on the front axle and 47% on the rear. The conversion reversed the axle loading, becoming slightly tail heavy. So we swapped the front springs (longer) with the rear springs. That got it very close to level without hydraulic leveling features. Spacers between the body and front-upper spring mounts dialed the front in perfectly. We added spacers in the rear rams (instead of fluid) to set the desired height there. It now has a slightly raked stance when empty and is level when the trunk and back seat is loaded.

We replaced the Rolls-Royce hubs and brakes on all four corners with parts from our donor Tesla model S. Wheel hubs with built-in wheel speed sensors, ABS pump, electric power-assist master cylinder, and Tesla's traction control automation. Tesla brake rotors and calipers wouldn't fit in the smaller Rolls-Royce size wheels, so we improvised with Wilwood calipers and Corvette parts there. There's more to it, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I like the rearview.....certainly means business. 3 point seat belt required. Awesome

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sparky,
I saw your video and, while I tend to be an all original purist about these cars, this was a thrilling engineering and design exercise. Congratulations on what had to have been a personally (not economically) motivate achievement. As you say - a most impressive team!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts