Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 1980 shadow 11 and have a problem when my engine heats up it starts to splutter it almost seems like the timing is out And also there seems to be a strong smell of fumes as if something is not allowing the fumes to escape,if I leave the car for say 1/2 hour or so it starts fine and ticks over ok until I take it for a short run and it happens again, any help from fellow rolls owners would be greatly appreciated .

·
Registered
760 Posts
Could be electrical and once heated up a plug failing or plug lead, the smell of fuel could be coming via the exhaust.
Does sound like classic miss fire

best of luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
motorman said:
Could be electrical and once heated up a plug failing or plug lead, the smell of fuel could be coming via the exhaust.
Does sound like classic miss fire

best of luck
thanks for that motorman but it's worse than just a misfire it's more like the engines getting choked and exhaust gases not escaping but hey oh I will soldier on and hope I get a few more tips

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Does your car have catalytic converters? My 1979 SW-II had (and still has) them and the originals had essentially disintegrated and collapsed internally.

Also, how/where is the car stored? It is not unknown for critters, mice in particular, to get into the exhausts over the winter and build nests.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all, I have a 1980 shadow 11 and have a problem when my engine heats up it starts to splutter it almost seems like the timing is out And also there seems to be a strong smell of fumes as if something is not allowing the fumes to escape,if I leave the car for say 1/2 hour or so it starts fine and ticks over ok until I take it for a short run and it happens again, any help from fellow rolls owners would be greatly appreciated .
I would suspect a catalytic converter if so equipped. This would cause the problem once heated up and the intermittency when cool. Yours in service rollsroycerescue.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had a similar on my SS2 and it turned out to be the ballast resistor, causing the coil to overheat. (diagnosed by Ghost Motors)
Easy to check if it is an overheating coil, just take another coil and next time just lash it on.
Quick easy check.
I did away with the RR resistor £180 and fitted a simple one off an E type Jag £15 This is now the same layout as early SS 1's
Hope it helps
Martin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts