Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Rolls Royce Silver Cloud 2 1960
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for recommendations to install an electronic ignition system into my Rolls Royce 1960 Cloud 2
That is pretty easy to install and works well
We installed a Fast 3000-0231 ignition kit but not sure if there is something better
For this car
Thanks

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also used Pertronix on my 6-cylinder stock 1956 S1. You will need an 8-cylinder version for your car.

It was easy to install EXCEPT for a little detail that wasn't provided in the instructions. The magnets within the black ring that fits over the distributor shaft under the rotor must be in a certain position to time the ignition properly. Perhaps the black ring fits onto the shaft only one way, but I didn't know that during the installation. There was no note about this within the instructions. It simply said to push the ring onto the shaft. Now, the problem may be with me as I need to fully understand what exactly I'll be doing in the next step before I do it. In this case, I expected some sort of instruction on how to align the ring - and there was none. Again, in retrospect, it may only fully engage in one location. BUT I was afraid of 'forcing' the ring down and breaking it, so this omission caused me much grief. Perhaps saying "gently rotate the ring until it feels like it can snap down into place" would help.

Wanting to ensure everything was 'timed' right before the installation, I set the motor to fire at 2 degrees BTC on #1 cylinder. (As per the workshop manual.) On the 6-cylinder, this is a pain as the timing mark is seen through the bottom of the bellhousing and you must do the final rotation of the crank from below. I also checked the position of the magnets in the ring by running a pin by them and then marking their spot with white-out. (See photo.) If there were better instructions about the ring, I wouldn't have done all this - simply snap it in place where it can go down.

Also, make sure to route the sending unit wires through the distributor so they can't find their way where they shouldn't be. (Obvious, but can be overlooked.)

I bought Pertronix's high energy coil and 'companion' plug wires. According to them, this provides a stronger spark by allowing you to open the plug gap. Their plug wires are of the 'modern' resistance type unlike the old copper wires. I understand the point of the resistor wires is just to reduce radio interference. If that's not an issue, then wouldn't the low resistance ignition wires be better? Perhaps someone with some expertise on this can explain?

Automotive tire Wheel Automotive design Locking hubs Motor vehicle

1 - 4 of 4 Posts