Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Electric Fan not running after engine stop

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Marcus Nietzold 
#1 ·
Hi, I am new here. I have an issue with my 2003 Bentley Arnage T Mulliner. The electric fan for the radiator is not always running after, when I stop the engine in operating temperature, which results in spitting coolant out of the over pressure valve in the cap of the left side expansion tank, once I switch off the engine. The fan has 3 stages, I tested them all by putting 12 V direct on the connector for the fan. All 3 stages are running nice without jerking.
The engine does not overheat while driving and my temperature gauge in the center console is working fine. I found a temperature sensor on the right side of the radiator ( 2 pins connector ) and one in the thermostat housing ( also 2 pin connector ). The wiring harness with the wires for the fan goes under the housing on the right side firewall, where the ECU is located. I do not want to rip the whole thing apart without knowing, where the fan control is located. Can anyone tell me, where the electric fan control is located in that vehicle?
We bought the car 2 years ago pretty cheap in horrible condition and I am getting it ( on the side ) piece by piece back to a jewel, which it is. Any information for the fan control is highly appreciated, since I cannot find any wiring diagrams etc. online.

Cheers and stay healthy these days.

See less See more
#2 ·
Couple of questions:
Where does the temp gauge sit at idle when warm?
Is the coolant spitting out with the cap on or off?

If the cap is on, then either the seal has lifted from the cap (happened to me a couple of times) or you're getting combustible gasses entering the cooling system. I'm trying to figure out the same issue on my recently purchased car.

#3 ·
Hi Alabbasi,

The temperature gauge is in the middle at all times, when the engine is warm. We got the combustion checked only recently the regular way via the spark plugs + we did a co leak test in the expansion tank, both was ok. The car has also full power and does not overheat at all. The cap is fine, there is an over pressure valve in the cap. The seal is also good. It is normal, that the coolant starts boiling, when the engine is running in very hot condition and you switch it off without any device getting the heat out of the radiator. The waterpump does not circulate the coolant and the belt driven fan does not run anymore, when engine off. That's why almost every car has this function, that the electric fan keeps running a few minutes after the engine is off. In my case the water boils only, when the electric fan is not running, after switching off the engine. When ever the fan is running sometimes, there is no issue at all and you can hear the fan running on highest stage between five and ten minutes, depending on time of the year ( we are in Dubai, and in the summer it is very hot sometimes ) This is clearly an issue, that the fan is running only sometimes, after I switch the engine off. this is only going on since a few weeks, before there was never an issue and the fan was running everytime, the engine was warm and switched off, summer as winter. This is the reason, why I am focusing on the fan control. Unfortunately this is not a VW Polo^^.

#4 ·
Marcus,

Thanks. I have a 2003 Arange T, the temp gauge is 2 ticks over the middle and the fan does not run on after the engine is turned off. It does not have this problem. In my experience, if the coolant is bleeding out of the cap, it's either the cap itself, the expansion tank or a blown HG. The clutch fan should be able to move more air than the electric fan once locked up.

#5 ·
Hi,

True, I get your point. Sure the clutch fan moves more air, the blades are quit big, but it is not running, once the engine is off.
All I can say is, once the electric fan is running after switch off, everything is fine. If it is not running, it is not ( we are talking about a warm engine )
Does your fan never keep running, after you switch off the engine? It is normally quit loud ( I think it is also a BMW part,
same sound as 5 and 7 series^^ )As as also mentioned, the head gasket is fine.

Cheers,
Marcus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.