Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1990 turbo r that starts well but minutes after starting the outboard fuel pump gets loud and the car shuts down. Are the pumps wired to run at the same time? This car sat for 3 years. Thank you for any help

· Registered
2,593 Posts
Are you sure you have 2 pumps ?
In any case, depending on your VIN you may have only one.
Replace fuel filter urgently and check fuel pump behaviour.
From there you will know if it/they has / have been damaged by 3 years sat and 30 years "mud"

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you jean7. My vin is scbzro3d6 lcx32828
I have changed filter. And I’ve been under car and there is two pumps separately fed with power wires. I am thinking at this point that I need to remove and bench test both pumps. I agree that this is from sitting. Possibly a flush with sea foam or carb cleaner on bench. Has anyone used Bosch 044 fuel pumps which have check valves ? Do the pumps run at same time or triggered by ecu ? There is only one 25 amp fuse. Thanks again for the help.

· Registered
1,809 Posts
Hi guy
Check your VIN ?

Looking at this diagram

The outer pump does the sucking , I would suspect the filter in the tank is blocked after a few minutes pumping.

Mike

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Mike. Sounds plausible to me. The hose from tank to that outside pump was changed as it was deteriorating and leaking. Do you know if there’s a sock or screen in the tank and does it get remove with the fuel gauge sending unit ? Thank you

· Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
There is a screen filter in the tank, it is accessible by dropping the plate with the fuel feed pipe. There is a large circlip holding that plate in. Make sure the tank is completely empty but be prepared for some fuel to come out when you remove the plate. Have a new O ring for that plate on hand.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great advice from all I will be home in a week and am looking forward to pulling this screen filter. I will post a picture of what I find and will watch for any fuel that remains.
Thanks all
Guy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts