Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to drain the fuel system in an '88 Corniche or is siphoning the tank the only way. The fuel is old and there is close to 10 gallons still in the tank.

·
Registered
873 Posts
The fuel exits the tank to the fuel pump. Disconnecting that line will allow you to drain the tank. Probably best to do it while the car is up in the air and no matter what precaution you take, expect fuel to run up your armpit.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Change the fuel filter when down there.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
And consider putting in a fuel cut off valve in the line between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. If you ever have to replace the fuel pump (or would have reason to drain the fuel tank again) you'll be thanking yourself profusely.

·
592 Posts
If the pump still works remove the fuel line at the fuel distributor, attach a piece of fuel hose to it and pump it out. Remove the wire at the positive terminal of the coil to avoid coil or ignition module damage from leaving the key on run while the fuel is being pumped out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. Great suggestions. They do confirm the lack of a drain plug on the tank. I just thought I was missing something.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fuel exits the tank to the fuel pump. Disconnecting that line will allow you to drain the tank. Probably best to do it while the car is up in the air and no matter what precaution you take, expect fuel to run up your armpit.
I have had fuel squirt in my eye when changing a fuel pump a few years ago in spite of clamps and plugs :-(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts