Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quicky, can someone tell me how easy it is to get to the door pin switches - as they do not seem to be obvious when I look in the door recess. (Bently Turbo R)

At the moment, the interior lights are on all the time (unless fuse pulled) and this used to be an occasional problem when the passenger front door was used - I can only guess a failing pin switch has finally failed completely.

I am happy to replace it - but cannot find it yet - where is it please - and if not a pin switch, how does it sense when the door is open?

Kind Regards

Mark

·
Registered
4,014 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow.

Thank you hugely. I never knew this was out there and I have googled quite a bit in the past too.

Very many thanks indeed, fantastic!

Kind Regards

Mark

guyslp said:
First, you definitely need to take note of the URL when you click

RROC Australia Technical Library for SZ Series Motorcars

and, in answer to your question, look at this subsection in TSD 4701, the electrical manual:

Section 28 - Interior Lamps & Seatbelt Warning. See #13 in fig 28-3 on PDF page 2. Also note you may not have a switch problem, but a relay problem.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Mark,

You're most welcome. In return I hope you will become an "evangelist" for the RROC-Australia Post-War Technical Library.

This is, by far, the most comprehensive technical resource for Rolls-Royce and Bentley owners on the internet, and it is being updated with additions on a fairly regular basis. I'm hoping that at some point in the future the various owner's manuals will be scanned and added.

There is also a Pre-War Technical Library as well, but they've moved it to another site.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One thing which is slightly worrying is that if my understanding of this is right, there are no pin switches - and instead, INSIDE the door cavity are micro-switches linked into the door locking mechanism.

Happy enough from an electrical point of view - just all fingers and thumbs when it comes to removing lumps of door from other lumps of door :)

Actually that's not quite true, I am usually quite good at *removing* the bits, it is the *re-attaching* which is more eventful - especially when I cannot find my superglue or araldite.

In fairness, once the carb was sorted out, it has only ever been the electrical side of things that has kept failing - just the fail-to-start is quite a biggy :)

Armed with the wiring diagrams though, I have spotted more places to prod and see. Was going to go for the starter solenoid but I cannot see that at all - and I am guessing unless I can jack it up securely enough to go gawping underneath, it might not be too visible for a while.

Any mobile mechanics about in the Northants area, please feel free to shout loudly in my general direction. The interior light is not an essential, but without a decent lift/safe jack on a car that will not start, it is not too easy to make progress :)

Have a fab weekend.
Mark

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Mark,

Unless you have veneered door panel inserts the door panels are very easy to remove (and reinstall) as far as that goes. One must be careful when removing the decorative escutcheons from around the window controls so as not to break their tiny little legs, but even this requires only either making a "grabber tool" out of thick wire or very gently prying a tiny bit on one side, then the other, back and forth to ease it out.

The entire leather panel is held on by a series of clips around the perimeter and the top just tucks under the wooden cap rail. You can gently lift at the starting point of your choice with a large screwdriver and you will pop a "diamond clip" out then keep moving along. Installing it back is just aligning the clips with the holes and giving a slight shove. If, by chance, someone has removed the black plastic liner between the door and the panel be sure to buy some plastic sheeting and replace it. This keeps moisture away from the back of the panel the leather is stretched over.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
B'Smooth,

Thanks for the attempt, but your 'TEST' post did not result in my being notified of an additional post to this thread. Let's see if you get one for this follow-up.

·
Administrator
534 Posts
Brian, have you subscribed to the thread? This is configured in your Profile options or by clicking Watch This Topic for Replies in the lower left under the final post.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Stirling,

The "Notify me when a reply is posted" checkbox is checked by default when I post. I believe I set it this way in my profile long, long ago. I'm looking at that checkbox right now and have unchecked and rechecked it to see if that makes any difference.

Notifications of thread replies from the RR & Bentley Forums have been MIA for me for some months now. I've even checked to see if these have been dumped into my Spam folder, and they have not. I have no idea what's up.

Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts