Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Docker Brothers advert in The Flying Lady

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Mark Barrett 
#1 ·
Hi

I hope you don't mind me coming straight on this forum with a request for help and information.

I am researching the paint company Docker Brothers who had a long association with the automotive industry - first paint company to exhibit at the Motor Show (Exhibition) in 1908 etc. etc.

I have learned that there was an advert for Dockers in The Flying Lady magazine in 1951 - page 165 - which read something along the lines of "Dockers Double One Primer Base, Dockers Spray Reducer for mixing, obtainable from Docker Bros., Berners Street, . . . . . . "

I am just wondering if anyone who has a copy of the relevant magazine could do me a scan or photocopy of the advertisement. Unfortunately I have no idea if it was just a classified ad or a small block. At the same time I would be interested to know over what period Dockers advertised in this particular magazine.

I haven't been able to confirm if Dockers were an OE supplier to Rolls Royce - so any information on that front would also be of great interest to me.

Thanks very much.

Best wishes

Mark Barrett

See less See more
#2 ·
Mark
Page 165 of the FL is in the 1954-6 issue (December 1954). It contains an article by Bill Adamson regarding Refinishing at R-R. There is no Docker Bros ad in this issue. Docker Bros is referred to in the article as a supplier for priming paint.
I have a scan (actually a scan of a scan) of p165. If I can figure out how to attach it, you will find a copy attached.
Leho
[Could not figure out how to attach a document to this posting. Post your email address and I will forward a copy to you.]

#3 ·
Leho

That's really fantastic!

Sorry I mistakenly interpreted this as an advert.

It was a "snippet" picked up via Google Books and I just assumed it was an advert. But it's very interesting to me that it is part of an article and that Dockers products were endorsed in The Flying Lady as suitable for refinishing a Rolls Royce.

My email is mark.barrett7@btinternet.com

I look forward to receiving the scan and again many thanks for your help.

Best wishes

Mark Barrett

#4 ·
A point of clarification.
The referred to article (written in 1954) is in the form of Questions and Answers. One assumes that the questioner is the author of the article, William Adamson Jr. The individual replying to the questions for RR is not identified.
To my knowledge the Flying Lady does not endorse any product, supplier or service provider. There is nothing in the article that implies endorsement.
The particular Q & A is as follows:
"Q.: Assuming that the present paint has been stripped down to the bare aluminum surface on the body and the bare steel surface on the fenders, what type of prime coating is first applied, and where in London can this be obtained? Do aluminum and steel require the same type of priming Paint?
A.: Dockers Double One Primer Base, Dockers Spray Reducer for mixing, obtainable from Docker Bros., 17 Berners Street London W.1. Suitable for aluminum or steel."
Leho

#5 ·
Leho

Thanks for clarification.

Sorry - "endorsed" not the right choice of word - but at least a close association between the Dockers product and the Rolls Royce marque.

It certainly makes an interesting addition to my Dockers archive.

Thanks again for your time and trouble.

Going slightly off topic here but you might be interested to see this Dockers colour catalogue from circa 1920. Between each page of colour chips is a page with 3 car designs and cut out sections so the colour can be viewed through from behind.

Do you think these represent ACTUAL contemporary car designs or just GENERIC automobile shapes??

Would welcome any thoughts or opinions on this.

Mark Barrett

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.