Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask this not because I am in any way upset, but am confused. A response I made earlier today to member @Marko was split into a new topic, which made perfect sense. However, the alert telling me this shows the avatar of just a capital G for the source of that notice. I have absolutely no idea who G might be, and have never seen any administrative action taken under that user ID before.

· Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
Hi Brian, I moved Marko's post earlier today as he posted on the end of a nine year old thread and the issue he was asking about was also different from the title of that thread. The notification you received would have come from me, but perhaps the software actually sends it. I wrote a personal note to you Brian in that notice explaining why I moved it, did you receive it? It was not in a private message, but in the dialogue box on the post move page.

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim,

This is what showed up in my alerts. So far as I can tell, there has been no other communication. Again, I want to emphasize that I am not asking this because I am upset in any way. It's just extremely odd to see an avatar that is not from a member of group administration when such an alert is received.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Software

· Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
I don't know why that avatar is a green background 'G'. I gather you have not seen it previously when you have received an alert. I typed 'Should be a new topic, not added onto an old thread' into the alert, then sent it as the reason for moving the thread, but I had intended it to go only to the OP Marko. You may have received it because I moved the whole thread as I edited the thread title as well and your reply was moved also. I think if I had moved both posts individually you would not have received the alert. I'll pay more attention next time I move posts to their correct place :)

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jim,

Thanks, but that still doesn't explain why your avatar is not used, which is what I find really strange.

Generally, administrative action alerts carry the avatar of the administrator who took the action. That's what's really throwing me for a loop, and I have to believe it's a bug in the site software, but heaven knows where it's snagging that G avatar from in this case.

I'm familiar with the capital letter avatars, but you have your own avatar.

· Administrator
189 Posts
When anyone of the staff members moves or otherwise makes a change and they send a notification to you, the system avatar for them is "G". The staff member's avatar is not used by design. It's a "feature" built into the system by Xenforo - we have no control over it. :(

I hope this helps to explain it.

-Bob

· Super Moderator
1,458 Posts
I send a notification every time with an explanation of why I have moved, edited, or otherwise moderated a post or thread to the affected members. This is why you would have seen a green G avatar Jean if I moved or edited your post. Brian's post here is the first time I have heard that a discreet avatar is sent when moderating and Jean's is the second.

· Registered
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not going to extend this any further and will accept that G is being used now as the Generic admin action avatar. I refuse, however, to believe that I would not have noticed this before now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts