Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I've started changing my distributor belt, so far I've marked the wires, removed the caps and arms and both dust covers.
In the technical info from the Australian site, it then says to remove "the upper, inner outer circlips" from the group 1 spindle.
I can only see 2, a smaller one on the spindle and a larger one that holds the bearing in place, and I've removed those.
How do I get the spindle out?
Or do I need to remove the distributor assembly from the engine?

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yes remove it from the engine. but first you MUST time it to TDC with the rotor arms in the correct positions.
Otherwise your in for a nightmare!
Mike

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike!
I timed as per the instructions on the Australian site, with the arms pointing towards the markings on the housing.
The distributor body can't be turned, as with regular distributors, I take it? Asking in case it also needs to be marked...

It also needs to be asked why on Earth they didn't just fit a single distributor like on a Chevy....

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
428 Posts
Longer dwell, hotter spark.
Given that it's not a race car though, it's rather redundant, even more so if it has electronic ignition, but with points, it's to give longer dwell.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is indeed understandable with a V8 Porsche (uses the same distributor AFAIK) or V12 Ferrari, but the Bentley engine is pretty far removed from those....

Makes an interesting conversation starter though ;)

Cheers

Es

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I agree suprising. Porsche 964 had 2 distributors, but 2 spark plugs per cylinder.
Here there is 1 distributor for 4 cyllinders
Maybe the result on engine / pollution was better.
If belt brake, car is one 4 cylinder and cannot be driven, as the other 4 cylinder receive fuel but no spark so could be ver damaged.
Typical british complication !

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
No the assy can't be turned to change timing , that's done by crankshaft sensor.
Just one bolt to remove.
I think Lucas stopped making distributors so they had to use the complicated German Bosch belt setup.
I'm sure W.O. would have used gears 😃.
Mike

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mission accomplished!
I changed the belt, caps and arms, and the cars runs again! Possibly even better than before, but that may well be purely psychological.
Next time I'll replace the bearings too.

While I had the distributor out, I also replaced the o-rings in the rear brake pump, which was surprisingly easy.
I do however think that it's the front one that's leaking, and that one isn't even really visible...
Ah, the joys of overly complicated cars 🤣

Thanks for all the help!

Es

1 - 8 of 8 Posts