Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guy's,

Ive got a few diagnostic kits kicking about and am looking to buy another but want it to do my 1994 Bentley Brooklands.

Ive been looking at omitec systems and obviously I need the extra cable from F/S.

Does anyone have a omitec system? is there a particular model number that I need to work with the Bentley?

Does it read/clear all systems (i.e airbag/engine/transmition)?

Many thanks in advance

Alan

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Michael.. ha ha ha.. no i dont, to be honest id got my eye on this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omitec-OmiScan-Diagnostics-/272403477422?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=QfqaCcT%252BfEBvILwlE270Ha4Hkpg%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc because it was sitting at £130 up until the last minute, then bidding went stupid.

I kept thinking that I want my airbag light knocking off which would have cost me £50 and then id have the unit as a complete peace of mind for if i need it.

The annoying thing is that I've got a few diagnostic kits, I've got a range rover nano com (which strangely enough reads the error codes of the engine but nothing else), I've got a delphi ds150e which reads nothing and also a launch reader viii which reads nothing.

I did buy a ring lock connector hoping that id be able to make a patch lead to an obd and use it with one of my existing kits but I'm still at the drawing board with that.

Unless someone has any further ideas to get one of my kits working correctly?

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't really want to spend that much to be honest, I'm more interested to find out what protocols the bentley uses, obviously it uses ISO-9141 for the engine & box, but what about the airbag/abs etc..

I'm convinced that i can get one of my kits to read all the data but i need a breakdown of the ecu's so that i can try & work it all out.

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Alan, just a heads up.

Omitec use the same casing for quite a few of their diagnostic machines but the inside is different.

The board with the lead connector on says Rolls Royce on it and is visibly different where the tracks transfer from the lead connector to the diagnostic board conector.

The diagnostic and screen board do look the same.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guy's,

Don't think ive had the pleasure of dealing with John Bowden so if you can possibly give me a contact, id appreciate it and hopefully, he can provide me with the diagram that he uses (as I have the plug and obd cable already)

From what ive worked out, the ISO 9414 is standard OBD where as most of the kits nowadays are ISO 9414-2 which is OBD2 which wont read the Bentley (for the engine and gearbox only).

But what protocols does the ABS/Airbag use? from what ive worked out, these can be read through a single wire (providing the protocol is correct and the obd is powered and earthed.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi again guys,

Im getting into this and reading more & more but can someone help me?

Obviously the engine runs on a motronic 1.3 (and i have communication between a couple of obd2 systems)
What system's does the following use?
transmission
Airbag
ABS

Once I get a little more in depth and start to succeed I will post for others to use

Thanks in advance

Alan

·
Registered
78 Posts
Has anyone figured out or reverse engineered the ECU protocol Bentley uses yet?

I'd LOVE to be able to monitor what is going on in the engine when I get that mysterious flickering check engine light going on in the DIP unit when, I suspect, nothing is actually wrong. On my OBD11-compliant '96 Brooklands.

I recently had to figure out for myself that P0106 meant that the electrical terminals on my MAP sensor needed cleaning and now I get 18 MPG, - better than ever before and up from 9-10. But a few hundred miles into a journey, the check engine light does go on. And this is AFTER I used the accustomed generalised solution with this car, by throwing money at it in new Oxygen sensors, to not much avail!

·
Registered
684 Posts
This is a topic that has been niggling me for a while. My Brooklands and Conti R both have OBD2 cables but my scanners can only read OBD2 emissions level information and cannot get into specific systems like the ciimate control, abs, alarm etc.
I suspect that even though my car has OBD2, the 48 pin connector is where all the action happens. I'd be very interested in finding a manual that provides a complete list of DTC codes available.
I've seen on the Australian site where some people installed an OBD2 connector in order to read some live data but it's not clear to me whether they were able to access ALL of the systems.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im convinced that we can access the whole system, but maybe using different software.

when I stripped my 1993 Brooklands down to do some general repairs, I studied the airbag ECU and noticed that it was identical to a BMW E32 model, having worked on BMW's, I know that they changed there diagnostic from a round plug to an OBD, which would tie in with Bentley changing from the mastercheck to OBD.

Reading up on the BMW diagnostics, they also use motronics on the E32 for the engine ECU, so im thinking that will BMW E32 software read our Bentley's?

I welcome any feedback that anyone can throw at me..

Thanks in advance

Alan

·
Registered
684 Posts

I just posted on the same subject on the RROC forum. As I mentioned there. My Autel Scanner was able to get into several engine / emission related systems using OBD2 (on cars made 1996 or later) including live data such as engine temp and 02 sensor readings. I was even able to program the immobilizer on a 2003 Arnage with the my Autel because it's on that OBD2 data network.

I'm not able to get into any RR/Bentley specific systems like alarm modules, climate control, airbag, etc. For that, you'll need to factory tool unless the aftermarket suppliers decide to reverse engineer it.

My Autel can get into many of the systems on the VW bentley and BMW RR models but not on the earlier , pre separation cars or the 1999-2006 Arnage as they use a lot of systems that were in place prior to the separation. I just bought an OMICHECK which I hope will let me get into alarm modules (why I bought it) so that I can align key fobs and check transmission codes. From its external appearance. It's looks like the worlds most expensive $15 dollar Harbor freight Scanner but if it can do what I need it to do for key fobs, It will pay for itself.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi Master check will go to all sensors linked to the can line and Round socket we have got the Engine and Gearbox all codes can be retrieved by any Scanner that is of good Quality
The rest hasnt been explored yet the Air Bag is also Jag as well as BMW so antill we have a car with a fault we can't go any ferther
Michael

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thanks alabbasi. When you say "factory tool" is that the Mastercheck tool, or the Omiscan tool? I see both mentioned in different places (and both quite expensive).
I could be wrong but from my understanding: mastercheck or omicheck , one is a replacement of the other and a little more modern.

If you're looking for a scanner that will cover cars from 99-2010, it will be the omicheck

·
Registered
684 Posts
Okay, so I started playing with my OMICHECK which I bought in hope to get the alarm key fob aligned on my booklands as it came with none and on my Arnage T which also needs the alarm programmed to the remote. Unfortunately when I try to get into the security function of the system, it throws a 'communications error'

The scanner is able to read other Bentley specific systems like the airbag, immobilizer etc but not the security system. I tested on a 96 Continental, 98 Brooklands and 03 Arnage. If anyone has used this machine, i'd be grateful if you could help me troubleshoot this.

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts