Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 78 Shadow was running just fine, then 2 days ago, I went out to start her & nothing..I turned on the key and the oil / gen light did not come on. I turned the key...Nothing..I checked all the fuses, and made sure the gear selector was in park..nothing...I checked the battery and it was dead...some how the polarity was reversed...??? I replaced the battery and cleaned and rechecked all the fuses...still nothing....I figured it must be a bad wire at the ignition/light unit..BTW after the new battery, I still have no headlights, electric windows, or radio....anything that will be activated when the key is turned on...The electric door locks and the clock are working....The only thing that does work at the ignition/ light module, is when you pull the domeswitch out, an overhead light will come on...I am at a loss and I am dead in te water...

my serial# is SRG 34871

Thanks for any help/suggestions Lee Benson

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
Have you done a reset on the cut out modules on the fuseboard?

What you describe as working/not working is an odd combination, but the large cut-out module on the left of center with the tiny red reset button controls the door locks, gearshift cut-out, headlamp safety cut-out, and headlamp feed cut-out. The one to the right of center is for the electric windows.

If you don't have a multimeter, get one and check *each* fuse for continuity. As these things age they often look just fine but aren't. Also, the relays get "wonky" with age, too, but you shouldn't have an instant failure on virtually all of them.

It shouldn't be possible for your battery polarity to have been reversed and to have everything working fine. The negative pole is grounded to the chassis by a very short cable. The positive pole connects to a significantly "beefier" cable that heads toward the passenger compartment.

Good luck!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Starter problem

Hello, Did you get this sorted out? If not, check out my problem titled Fuel Cut off. Start at the bottom it's quicker for what you want.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts