Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello

I still have issues with D.I.P.

I bought this car with this issue. D.I.P. is not working - usually displays random content.

I reviewed and cleaned probably all relays and fuses, many electric connectors, included those with D.I.P. / instrument panel cluster.
It generally started to work. Not sure, what help. But after few days it stopped to work again.

Now, it sometimes works as should, but usually just displays random content, included random segments of digits in trip counter. In those state speedometer is not working too (tachometer works).

Yesterday I removed from car the instrument cluster and dismantled it, just to check for corrosion, bad connectors, cracks, cold solders, but I did not find anything bad in visible way (I had quite good electronic experience). After montage, it works without change like usual (it mean doesn't work).

I find in papers that I got from previous owner, that some years ago the car has a diagnostic in UK for this issue and the conclusion was "replace or repair D.I.P.".

So, anybody repaired D.I.P. / instrument cluster ?

I found in internet this company: SBI - anybody used their services?

Greetings,

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Szdowk I have an 89 Spur and an 88 Corniche. They are different from your display and are controlled by individual lamps. Sorry i can not be of any assistance. These cars are so much alike and yet so different, some knowledge can be used from one series to another and all together different. To me this is part of the CHARM of these fine automobiles.

Jim

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would suggest you search the forum for previous posts detailing issues with SBI, there have been several negative posts. I would use John Bowling, he has received good reviews.
Bowling Engineering Ltd,
Unit 5 Fishbrook Ind Est,
Stoneclough Road,
Kearsley,
Bolton BL4 8NF
Tel 01204 862500.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Yes 100 times for John Bowling / Bowling Engineering. They have probably the best knowledge in electronic on those cars , and parts you don't find anymore anywhere ( chips....)
John worked directly for Crewe since more than 30 years

No 100 times for SBI.....

Now up to you to choose !!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
1991 RR silver spirit 11 same issue, cleaned earth points it helped for a day or two then nothing. Battery runs down then cluster has missing or blurry info. Charge battery and fully lit info but still not shifting out of park this time. Also intermittent alarm / buzzer when kill switch in boot turned off then on again.
I have new (2nd hand) DIP ordered from Flying Spares to see if it cures issue

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you all for answers. I wrote an email to Bowling Engineering with description of the problem.

Anyway, anybody know what is a difference between "UK/USA" and "other countries" version of the instrument cluster?
Sure, daily trip counter and odometer is in miles instead of kilometers. I think about montage of UK/USA instrument cluster and then change speedometer for my own, however I'm not sure what will be measured on it and odometer?

On the screen of D.I.P. there is both "km" and "miles" inscriptions. Is it configurable? I noticed something like a serial data port on the right side of the D.I.P. unit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Have you replaced all the light bulbs in the dash unit with the correct spec ones? I had issues with my 91 until I did this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Have you replaced all the light bulbs in the dash unit with the correct spec ones? I had issues with my 91 until I did this.
Thank you for advice. It is interesting idea. I checked bulbs inside DIP. There were 2W(!) bulbs. I replaced them with 1,2W but it not help and the panel did not start to work as should.

Anyway, it is quite good idea and I believe, as those bulbs inside DIP are driven by IC, that their replacement to lighter was the cause of this problem. Especially, that it was done by one of previous owners four or five years ago... (I have diagnostic report about DIP problem 4 years old!).

I just mounted new/used dip which i bought at ebay (exchange!). It is working good now, however it is pretty dark. Inside garage is ok, but outside (today the sun is shining) it is lightened more by the sun than by bulbs...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts