Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

Crooked Steering Wheel

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  jonnyc 
#1 ·
I just installed this preassembled lower steering column input shaft assembly from Flying Spares UR15430ASXR (photo attached).

However, the steering wheel is now off-center; the left arm is at 10 o'clock and right arm at the 4 o'clock position. There is only one way this steering column assembly fits, so I’m not sure what happened. Is this normal when replacing the entire assembly?

If so, does this mean I have to pull the steering wheel and re-center it? The manual says’ a special Roll’s steering wheel removal tool (RH 7870) is required for this project. I have not been able to find one online.

So do I go back a try to refit the assembly, or remove/recenter the steering wheel?
Please share your guidance:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I am of the recenter the wheel opinion. As far as special tool is concerned I would give a regular steering wheel puller a go...but I'm not sure without seeing it, however if you have the skills to install the column assembly, yanking the wheel should be no great challenge for you(y)

#7 ·
I just installed this preassembled lower steering column input shaft assembly from Flying Spares UR15430ASXR (photo attached).

However, the steering wheel is now off-center; the left arm is at 10 o'clock and right arm at the 4 o'clock position. There is only one way this steering column assembly fits, so I’m not sure what happened. Is this normal when replacing the entire assembly?

If so, does this mean I have to pull the steering wheel and re-center it? The manual says’ a special Roll’s steering wheel removal tool (RH 7870) is required for this project. I have not been able to find one online.

So do I go back a try to refit the assembly, or remove/recenter the steering wheel?
Please share your guidance:

View attachment 28322
Proper method is to have the wheels aligned and the toe in adjusted.

#8 ·
Curious..why was it replaced? The only item that usually goes is the rubber union and rubber boot.
Before installing the new unit, the front wheels, including the steering wheel should be centered straight ahead. If at this time, the unit does not line up like the original, the replacement can be taken apart, oriented properly and re-assembled.

#9 ·
I have little mechanical ability/experience and time. There was play in the steering wheel and the boot was ripped. It seemed easier to me to just drop in a pre-assembled unit; no struggling with rebuilding anything. The car handles better now and some of the loose steering play is gone.

In the end, I re-centered the steering wheel by following the instructions in the manual. I could not locate the "special" RR tool, so I bought a steering wheel puller set from Harbor Freight for $15.00 and three 5-inch threaded bolts to fit through the very narrow steering wheel holes on the outside of the wheel hub (where the horn button mounts). It worked incredibly well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.