Rolls-Royce and Bentley Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find one of these (right side) - are there any other cars that had them?

I need to add one to the passenger side as well (currently only the driver side is fitted).

Thank you.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
You might want to get together with someone who has the right side mirror already fitted.

On the two series cars the right side mirror is about as useful as a screen door on a submarine if it is mounted as the factory mounted them and on these cars, if you want to have a future resale market for the one(s) you're now the custodian of, you don't want to mount them in a non-standard position.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I already have the measurements - basically the same is the driver's side (in this case both would be driver's side as this style was only fitted to the "driver's side" - so I will need to find a RHD one).

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Bentleyhigh,

Did yo found a solution for your side mirror.
I have the same problem on my shadow RHD driving in Belgium.
I purchased a round mirror assy and i installed it on the left hand side door .
No way, i do not see from my driver position what i need to see to drive the car safely!!!!!!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Wow just caught this thread, I thought it was just me, my SSII right door mirror is all but useless. I figured they put it there for symmetry because in practical use, there is none, no matter how I attempt to adjust it. Other than perhaps symmetry what good is it?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Was hoping for some expertise on this, one thing I thought was maybe in a left hand drive car the right mirror was one simply used from a right hand drive car so the trajectory wouldn't be correct and people ordered it for symmetry because by 1979 most cars had 2 mirrors and maybe RR was still on the old one mirror way of doing things???

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Hi Jon. Same issue here on the SWII. Useless RH mirror.
My next project will be an SY Evolution. The freedom to make changes, updates, mods etc without the preservationist mantra. One of the updates will be electric mirrors from a SZ series.
I am compiling a "to do" build wish list for the next project.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just to add my "tuppence worth" of knowledge, I have a 1968 Shadow with twin mirrors on the wings (fenders). I don't think RR installed twin mirrors at the time, probably the dealerships or 60s-70s aftermarket. They are thinner than the one pictured in first post, and on a proper "stalk", and I've seen them on many early Shadows and Clouds. But they do come in RHS and LHS versions (i.e. the angle of the lens is different and covers different perspectives). So, if you bought two for the same side (e.g. 2 RHS mirrors), one of them would be pretty ineffective when placed on the "wrong" side. As I said, I believe these weren't installed by RR at point of manufacture but added later on (mine were made by Tex). Not sure if the thicker, door-fixed ones installed by RR in later Shadows and Shadows II had poor angle of vision by design (inherent fault), or whether it's cases of previous owners installing an additional mirror on the other side without checking it's designed for that position..

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm definitely thinking inherent fault on this one. The later mirrors are both door mounted and have interior controls for positioning so we'll have to blame the factory in my opinion

1 - 11 of 11 Posts